HF pipe bending dies

I have an inexpensive pipe bender. Its dies are about a quarter of a circle;
in other words are about 90 degrees. I need to bend an angle that is larger
than 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees e.g. 110 degrees. Can I bend this
angle using the HF pipe bender?
I know I can bend two pieces of pipe to 90 degrees and cut the two appropriately
and weld them together to form the correct angle. I'd like to avoid this step
if possible.
Grant
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Can you not use the "follow along" approach? Bend a little, advance the work, bend a little more. Depending on the shape and the amount of room you have, it may not be necessary to do the whole 90 degrees between follow along operations. The only problem with bending only part of the angle and then going back later would be if the part work hardens too much during the process, but don't let that stop you from trying it out.
I do this with my Hossfeld bender.
Pete Stanaitis --------------------
Grant Erw> I have an inexpensive pipe bender. Its dies are about a quarter of a > circle;
Reply to
spaco
This makes more sense if you're using a bender that holds the part rigidly at one end and then follows a die with a shoe around the bend, like a Hossfeld. The HF type pipe benders have 2 pins on the side and push a die between the pins. If you bent it some and then scooted it along a little then the pipe would be kittywampus. But it might work sort of.
Grant
spaco wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
If you bent it some and then scooted it along a little then
Been a VERY long time since I heard anyone use the word kittywampus.
Errol Groff
Reply to
Errol Groff
1260 hits!
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
Kittywampus aside, you can usually bend a few degrees (ie 10 degrees on each side) beyond the 90 degree arc of the die. You will probably need to reset the roller followers as you approach the 90 degree point as well as add an extender to your ram. I would expect some gouge tool mark on the inside of the bend when it comes clear of the die. A couple pieces of 1" stock with the proper 'U' grove could be bolted to the end of the die on each side if that is a big issue.
I you don't like that, you can do the first 90 degrees to one side of your bend, reposition the pipe 20 degrees over, reset the roller on the already bent side to be very close to the pipe, and continue the bend. You may need a ram extension for this.
Grant Erw> I have an inexpensive pipe bender. Its dies are about a quarter of a > circle;
Reply to
RoyJ
Not that I have figured. I just bend 2 pieces and splice it together.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
cattywampus gets Results 1 - 100 of about 13,000 for cattywampus. (0.17 seconds)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell