Bending Pipe

I was wondering if there is any easy way to bend 1" pipe. It has about a
1/8" sidewall. Obviously a pipe bender would be best but I have no tools
like that. Just a torch. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Don
Reply to
Don
I have tried similar methods but usually the pipe kinks slightly. I need to maintain the strength if possible.
Reply to
Don
Don't know that it's "easy", but packing it full of sand can help to reduce kinking. You could also buy a cheap junky chinese pipe bender from harbor freight or the like - then you would have a low quality tool like that, without spending much. Or you could buy a high quality tool and be done with it. Or you could carve something out of wood, or have a shop with the right tools do the bends. Many options are available.
Reply to
Ecnerwal
Don,
What I would do is heat the pipe red hot and bend in a vise. Heat, bend, reheat, bend until the angle you want is reached. This method would not take into consideration the radius of the bend. If you need a particular radius I would use the same method but bend the pipe around a specific dia. piece to give the radius I would need for the job.
Bernd
Reply to
Bernd
Do you have a Ridgid pipe stand? Some models have a built-in radius in the table for various pipe sizes.
Reply to
ATP
I got a cheap hydrualic pipe bender for $40 on a closeout. Similar to this:
work fine on **PIPE**
If you want to try it manually, find the fork in the tree or suitable spot on the pickup bumper to anchor it. Then use the torch to heat it red hot in a 270 degree arc, bend it 5 degrees or so, move over half an inch, repeat. It will flatten some on the back side. A small propane torch doesn't have the BTU's for 1" pipe. Use two of them, one on each side. OA is obviously much better.
cheers.
D> I was wondering if there is any easy way to bend 1" pipe. It has about a
Reply to
RoyJ
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:36:36 -0500, the inscrutable "ATP" spake:
Well, what if the crook went up the tree so you couldn't whack him with that 1" pipe, huh?
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I bought the HF pipe bender above and it works pretty good. It takes some real patience but will bend steel pipe decent. Here's are two links to projects i made with it. The pipe was 1" od, wall thickness was about .125" (there's a picture of the bender in the background, i made a stand for it out of old bedframe angle steel)
good luck, walt
Reply to
wallster
You might try a rental place. Check for thinwall conduit benders. They will work for regular pipe or tubing it the radius is OK.
Reply to
D. Crockett
What I do is use my torch and heat up sections up to 5" at a time really red and then just bend it around a pipe bending tool that i clamped down to my work bench. For a 1" pipe as you are trying to bend just go to your local tool shop and get a pipe bending jig that usually costs all of $5.00 and just clamp it down. Then take your pipe and figure out exactly where you want the bend to start and end and clamp it to the jig then start heating away. It works quite well as I have been doing that for many a year, even building custom motorcycle chopper hard tail frames as well as shit loads of other stuff for people. THOMAS' Wrought Iron Works Saskatoon, Sk. Canada snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net Good luck.
Reply to
Thomas
Try putting sand in the pipe , then with the pipe securely held down and goddamned big lever arm, bend it. The sand will keep the pipe from flattening. MLM
Reply to
JohnQ.Public

Site Timeline