Clever lockbox design needed

Hi people,

OK, the opener proceeds with much excitement and I am now approaching the "other" stuff department.

Prior to the auto opener I had a chain and padlock, well 2 padlocks actually. Mine and the power company's. We loop the two padlocks together so I can get in and out and so can the meter reader once a month. We used to leave the gate open for him when I used the garage door opener, but he comes over a 3 day spread and never sure exactly when, so would like to clean up this installation a bit better.

With the 36v opener becoming a reality as the last opener I will ever need, I have decided to use another radio remote in a lock box with two or three padlocks. The power company will have one, I will use the other and I am thinking a third for friends or something.

What I need is a waterproof "box" design that any one of the padlock keys can open up and grab the remote to click the gate open/closed. The power company does not give me the key to their padlock. They give me an open padlock and once I snap it shut, it is shut until the reader arrives.

Any cool suggestions for a simple box design? I do NOT want to run wires to a numeric pad and the remote set I am using does not have a numeric pad option anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Jenny3kids

What I would do is use 3 key switches - see McMaster-Carr #7182K11 (it's "washdown" rated). Connect them in parallel to the contacts of the push button on your remote. Much more convenient to use: put the key in and turn vs unlock the padlock, take out the remote, put back the remote & relock the padlock. Assuming that the power company is not adamant about using its own padlock.

HTH, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I think so. Immediately, my thoughts went to some sort of "peer access" lockout device, with all of its tangs and loops.

Then I thought -- DUH! Why not a simple box with three doors; each with its own lock. All accessing the same interior space.

Works?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Oh... another response suggested that the remote will be lost.

So? Mount it securely inside the box so that the doors only permit access to the button.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

First thing I would do is talk to the meter reader. There are several things that come to mind. First is lots of utilities have nice little secure lock boxes you can bolt near the lock that you give them a key that fits your lock and they open the box with their key and your key is then available to them to use.

As an alternative this box could house a push button so all the meter reader would need to do is open the box, and push the button.

Wall mounted key switches that a locksmith can set up to the power companies key is also an option.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Hi Lloyd,

Yup, I was already there, but then looked at the water proofing and it gets complicated. That's when I threw it to the collective inventiveness of this group.

I had planned on having the remote on a short steel cable for security.

I am thinking of a combo-version of Roger and David's suggestions. I can use an unlocked plastic box mounted vertically then have three boxes inside it. Each can have it's own padlock leading to a mechanical button-connection to the trapped remote.

Thinking... thinking...

Thanks guys.

Reply to
Jenny3kids

Waterproofing translates to "hooding" on outdoor electrical boxes. Basically just a rain gutter to keep the water out of the door. Each door has a lip overlapping a raised frame. You could do the same with the Big Door, Smaller Door, Much Smaller Door concept -- each one having a "hood" over it attached to the next larger door, and finally the main box. (Thing would end up looking like a partly-expanded "collapsable drinking cup" .)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Could install an "outside" AC compressor disconnect box - weatherproof, lockable and made for conduit installation. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Use whatever kind of box you settle on and run a chain over the lid, link your three locks together somewhere in the chain. We had a similar setup at my old job. I'd use a little metal First Aid box.

Reply to
B.B.

A cube framed with angle can have each side hinged and locked, with a weatherproof switch inside and don't worry about weatherproofing the box. Mount the box on the hinge post so that key holders can let themselves in or out using their own padlock, meanwhile, frequent users get the remote controlled switch in parallel to the switch in the box. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Hi All,

Gerry, I think we have a winner.

I will have a post they can reach from the driver's window, have the cube so it can rotate. Turn it to your padlock and open to access the remote. It means the meter reader will have to get out to lock the box when leaving, but that is better than it is at the moment where he has to get out both times to unlock and lock the chain.

Waterproofing the remote can be a plastic bag with a cable tie. Part of the enclosure will have to be plastic as it is after all, a radio remote. A few of you missed that one.

Reply to
Jenny3kids