much demand for people buying collections?

Cant use ebay..and its looking like im going to have to sell all my collection, apart from a couple of kits to fund a move to Germany next year

Got say...800kits (not sure, all in storage), couple of hundred books, mags, stacks of decal sheets etc.

I was hoping to buy a campervan this week, but a guy who i often sells too, couldnt get without his wife killing him the £1500 i said i would take for the lot.

I know a lot of people only do one subject, or scale, most of my kits are

72nd aircraft, but some other scales too, lots of 72nd armour, a load of US cop cars and muscle etc..

I know my local model shop buys at 25% of the retail price, then sells them for full (and hes a tosser anyway)

A lot of stuff is OOP and v old boxes (like my big stash of Lightnings, inc the T55 Mbox, had i think about 13 of em) i was hoping to take them with me next year, but at this rate...

Reply to
Jules

Bummer.

Selling all in one will cost you a lot of money. Although it is easier and quicker.

Do you guys have anything similar to Craigslist over there?

It is a free online ad site here in the states, it is broken up into local areas.

What about the ebay alternatives? I know there are some out there, I just am not that familar with them, not having any money myself the last few years to do any buying.

Good luck. Russ

Reply to
russ

After looking around, and getting a few emails, i think the best thing would be write out a list when i get the kits out of storage.

Not due to move until next summer, so still some months, but wouldnt want to leave it until the last minute, but if i can take them with me, all the better

Jules

Why don't you start attending local shows as a vendor and sell your collection off that way. Might be worth the time to get an inventory made up to hand out at Telford to potential buyers looking to score a deal. Might even be worth renting a small van to haul them with the idea that they all must go. You might get lucky and move them all and pocket a good profit even after renting the van.

Reply to
bluumule

well i have a small trailer, for the move next year, but this year cant go to Telford as im skint..i spoke to some traders last year, and they said the amount they paid for the stalls was pretty steep. they also said they have to take home loads of stuff they didnt sell. i mean, how much demand is there for Mbox T55's and Airfixs Lightning F1A's and F3?s must have a total of over 70 lightings in differant brands and versions

I have many many duplicates, some cases 10, 15 times, so maybe i sell off most and keep one of each..or just 2 in some cases.

Reply to
Jules

Well, maybe you'll find a better market for them in Germany. All modelers are thrifty...as long as you give them a good deal they'll take them off your hands.

I sold a huge part of my collection about ten years ago, nearly 800 kits. No in retrospect I wish I hadn't. I thought at the time I was getting out of the hobby indefinitely, only to find years later I am into it deeper than ever.

Like you said, thin down to the essentials, sell the rest. At least make an inventory of kits you are selling and have a sales sheet to put on the literature table at Telford. At our events there are usually several tables with flyers for model clubs, sales, small companies, events etc. Who knows maybe you'll reach that one crazy person who will buy the lot!

Reply to
bluumule

thanks good thinking, might give it a try if i get there..

Reply to
Jules