When will this model kit hoarding end?

I have been collecting model kits on and off for the last 4 years. I don't even remember buying much, but somehow I have accumulated 150+ kits. I
don't even live in a house, I rent an apartment. I have bought them at various places, including Wal-mart, eBay, and Michaels. I keep telling myself this is last one, but there is some kind of obsession/ addiction to this. Out of all my kits, I may have completely put together a grand total of three in the last 4 years. I have about 30 kits started, but nowhere near finished.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In article

There's no law that states that you MUST build everything you buy, and we can certainly buy much faster than we can build our models. The thing to be a bit cautious about (in my opinion) is to build because you feel guilty for having unbuilt kits. I only know of one person who has no collection, and just builds one kit a year... that's iron will.
I've also heard it said that we accumulate piles larger than we'll ever complete in our life times, but you have the ability to build from whatever is on the pile. It's a freedom, or even dream, that is quite tangible.
Anyhow, have fun with the hobby, where ever it takes you. I'd recommend finishing one of those 30 unbuilts. Rather than for the sake of paring down the pile, it's more for a sense of accomplishment. It feels good.
--- Stephen
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
asdf wrote:

You know, there may indeed be some sort of obsession/addition here, when I consider all the folks I know, including myself, that are in a similar condition. The 150 kits is not that out of line, though a bit high for someone who only started four years ago. Most of the folks I know with a stash that large have been in the game for a couple of decades. Also, while many of us have partially completed kits on the shelves, 30 is a high number- I'd guess most of us have less than a dozen, many less than half dozen.
If it is a true mental condition, it does not seem to be too harmful a one, as long as you are not spending money you need for true essentials (food, medical care, family). However, I guess it would be interesting to hear of a mental health professional looking into this and seeing if it is a true 'illness'.
Now, the number of partially built models on the shelf is somewhat a product of what genre of models you build. Ship models, in particular, are long term projects, and I think it is healthy to put them up on a shelf for awhile and take a sabbatical and work on a simpler kit or another kit for awhile before returning to a major project ship. I have three such major ship projects on my shelves.
On simpler models (cars and planes) most of them are up there because I have lost a part, or screwed something up, or such, and have put them up for awhile because I am afraid if I try to finish them while I am upset with them I may really screw it up worse. And, sometimes they are up there while I calmly consider whether or not to really finish them or trash them.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

I think that it might be. There is a mental disorder that makes people cruise slowly down a street on garbage day looking for something that they probably don't need. I've heard it refered to as "Packrat Syndrome", but don't know if that's the "official" term. I like to think that we (and I suffer from it too) are just a bit more specialized.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

ocd-obsessive-compulsive disorder. a somewhat blanket term that covers people who hoard. and often they will have 10,000 rubber bands but refuse to give on away because they won't have enough. packrats are usually the early stages, often it does not proceed further. ocd is when you CAN'T give anything up.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I've graduated from models to guitars and other musical instruments....
300+ models, 20 or so instruments..
If they would quite sending me those free shipping offers I might just stop.....nah, not a chance..
Craig
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

4000 records, 1200 cassettes, 4000 cd's, reel to reels, 6 motorcycles, 12 pc's, 300 kits.....it does get nutty. and then there's the coin collection. i have enough wheat pennies to sink a barge.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
e wrote:

Singlehandedly causing the price of penny production to escalate...;)
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
...who isn't ready to admit to collecting them in a mayonnaise jar until they get wrapped and taken to the bank...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

i hope you are sperating the pre 1982 and the 82's that weigh 3.11 grams. you want to hoard copper. i predict 5cents per penny by the end of the decade. the mint has made over a TRILLION cents. if i make a dent.....i'll need an empty mall or six. coin collecting is amazing, there is no limit ti what and how you can collect. i love 2 cent, 3 cent silver, 20 cent and half dimes. anf halves.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote:

Is this anything like Groucho's 7 cent nickel?
RLM
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
e wrote:

My Dad has a rather extensive stamp collection. I know that the collection is willed to me, because he reckons that I'm the one who will look after it and carry it on.
I really don't want my Dad to pop his clogs - mostly because he's my Dad, but also because I just *know* that when I get my hands on that stamp collection, I'll become obsessed by it....!
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

my coins are going to anyone but my family. those idiots will give it away in ignorance. i hoped for one interested enough to learn values.....nope. so i will leave it to a friend's child who loves sitting with me determining overton varietys of draped bust halves. she doesn't know what she will inherit. but she will love and care for them. that's all i ask, not for some pinhead to sell my life's work for pin money.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

it
My late grandad (a wartime RAF pilot) collected models of elephants. He had over 6,000 of them by the time of his death. My mother couldn't get rid of them fast enough. He also had a collection of medals from all over the world. Despite being a Dutch national, his RAF medals occupied pride of place in his display case.
(kim)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The Old Man wrote:

I think that "packrat syndrome" certainly applies to me. I have bought so many F-4 kits recently because I have noticed that the availability of some models is patchy at best. supposing I fancy building an F-4D and there are none available at the time? that would send me into a downward spiral... ;-) Now I just grab one of the four in my stash! For that self same reason, I will be buying *seven* Hasegawa F-4J kits shortly, once they become available in the UK.
--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

can you say lindberg, boys and girls? i've built 11 of the 335's.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
e wrote:

I guess I shouldn't mention the ones I have on E-bay right now. They aren't Hasegawas anyway. :)

Got your own Jagdgruppe?
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

were there still that many in one at war's end? or did they get diluted like the panzer gruppen? i have bashed both 4 engines v's, a twin, a trainer and nightfighter plus a tank killer. the 4 engines have the wrong motors, but they were built in the 70's.....the next 5 v's will be right, including both trolleys and rauchgerats. but i can quit any time!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

some
are
"Compulsive Hoarding Syndrome" aka "Squirrelitis"
http://www.ocfoundation.org/1005/m100a_002.htm
I *think* every member of my family suffers from it to some degree or other.
(kim)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I normally pick up a kit because it's cheap. Especially Wal-marts selling AMT models for $6.00. One thing I miss are some of the pre-painted AMT "Pro Shop" kits that stores used to carry. They were just $10 and some had incredible detailing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

I think some people are just natural collectors , I know I am ,I started collecting stamps as a kid , then matchbox cars , then as I got older more adult collections became apparent like ,knives, swords and firearms,and ammunition and other WWII paraphanalia(sp?) and of course being a Fitter and Machinist the envitable tools. I collect cactus plants too. I also have collections of military badges and patches,cigarette cards from WWII that has taken me a life time to accumulate. So collecting model kits of WWII subjects is just a natural extension. I do build five or six models a year, but I probably buy twice that amount. Most of the previous collections have been sold or passed on to nephews and friends ,some stuff still remains in my possesion ,the military stuff will be donated to the Darwin East point War Museum when I pass on from this life.
--
Kevin (Bluey)
"I'm not young enough to know everything."
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.