George Sellios' layout

Bought Allen Keller's video of Part 2 of George Sellios' Franklin & Manchester - frankly, I was disappointed, after all of the praise he's been
getting. Sure, the urban scenery looks great, but his locomotives run like... crap! Herky-jerky, especially at low speeds, stops that are way too abrupt, and starts that go from zero to full power in just seconds. If this is the best he can get his steam locomotives to run, it's no wonder he's considering the early diesel era!
The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com
On 7/13/03 7:14 PM, in article HBmQa.103873$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com, "Digital Railroader"

As I understand it, George isn't particularly interested in the operational aspects. At least, that's what I gather from other posts on the subject.
Brian
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:56:06 -0500, Brian Paul Ehni

Judging from what I have seen of various tapes & TV programs few model railroads, regardless of scale, seem at all realistic in operation. All seem to start with a jerk and sort of lurch along as seemingly affected by electrical pick-up problems. Besides, none show signs of having weight. They look like track bound baloons.
I suspect most of these models seem much more realistic "in person". Movies & video don't seem to efectivly capture operation of model trains.

I think that was particularly the case when George first started building the F&SM, but I think he's become more interested over the years. We visited the layout in February and everything sure seemed to run smoothly while we were there.
Jim
Is there REALLY any need for this post? What is the point? Show us the pictures of YOUR layout...............
If my post was so useless, why do you compound the problem by posting another useless reply? BTW, show me your layout!
"I'll show you mine if you show me yours"...never mind, just trying to inject a little humor. :-)
Steve W

Dennis, I agree that it depicts the depression era but comparing the layout with photos taken at the time, it does seem to be over done. It looks far too run down. I tell yeah, I wouldn't want to live in any of his modelled cities. :-)
BTW, I know it's "John Allen" and not "Allan".
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
snipped-for-privacy@highspeedplus.com says...

That's funny - I thought I had :-). It may be a little overdone, but I've seen places in Louisville and Chicago back then (and LA today) that weren't much better.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Me too. The F&SM is a great layout. Model railroading, especially on George's scale, becomes an art form. It can be appreciated even if it's not YOUR 'thing'. The same was true of John Allen, and many others.
ALL these great layouts are 'charaicatures' in some form, as are almost all complete layouts in any form. Each reflects the personality and interests of it's builder. Most everyone also HAS to apply selective compressions and other tricks to build a working model railroad layout. You might make a small diorama to exact scale (sort of), but a whole railroad would be near impossible.
Dan Mitchell ========= "Dennis E. Golden" wrote:

Digital Railroader wrote...

That's an interesting proposition... has anyone *actually* seen any of Malcom Furlow's layouts that he built for MR magazine on display and in operation?

Malcom
operation?
No, but all of his track plans showed a remarkable absence of any operating potential.
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway

this....
Who's p*ssing on who(m)?
So far, I think we've all agreed that he's a fantastic modeller, does excellent work. Nobody is p*issing on him. Some of us, myself included, may not like his style of modelling, but that doesn't detract from it.
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
Roger T. wrote...

I'm looking at the F&SM photo in the latest Model Railroader magazine, (August 2003, p. 71), and I don't get that feeling at all.

Not seen that yet, though it was mentioned as being featured in the July issue.
I gather from another poster in this thread that he has toned down the detail and litter and debris that, to my eye, was a bit over the top.
I do look forward to seeing the article as he does do an excellent job with his style of modelling.
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
What a troll. YOU are the one slamming some other layout. Tell you what, next time you witness shoplifting, yell out 'stop theif'. You will then be arrested for shoplifting since you're guilty of the crime too. Makes sense? As much as your BS below.
And this is how you hope to boost users of your digital newsletter or whatever it is?
The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC wrote ".............Sure, the urban scenery looks great, but his locomotives run

I've been to exhibitions where the arm chair experts pontificate on what someone else should do with their layout. On one occassion the operator listened intently then leaned over the layout and just said; "OK where's your f*****g layout then!".
As another contributor stated, get a camera or visitor near a model railroad and things just go wrong. Remember it's a hobby, fun, a break fron the stress of real life.
Ernie Currently modelling NS in N
You tell him, Howard. Geez, what is the point to that! The FSM is a fantastic layout. I could spend weeks admiring the modeling, the details, and the awesome weathering and scenery. The fact that a few old brass steamers are not smooth is not something to slam anyone for.
Marc Sierra Valley Railroad