PING: George Herold

Greetings George, I sent you an email about spinning to avoid posting more off topic stuff in another newsgroup. But I just got a message that the emial was undeliverable. So here is the text: Greetings George, Copper soldered with lead free solder will accept nickel plate. You may have better luck if you want a seamless part looking for deep drawn copper cups. There are places that make and sell these as a standard item. When spinning a flat disc is deformed into a concave shape. Imagine if you took a piece of aluminum foil and set a can on it. Then wrap the foil up the sides of the can. There will be many wrinkles. When spinning properly these wrinkles are flattened out by displacing metal. This means that the metal must get thicker, longer, or both, in the cylindrical section. When making a cylinder with tall sides and a small diameter you can see that this would require the most displacement of the metal. When metal is deep drawn the metal is only displaced in one direction, not two as it would be when spun. Items like aluminum cans, bullet shells, high pressure gas cylinders and the like are deep drawn. Do a web search to see some videos of the process. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Hi Eric, sorry about that. I don't use the gmail account that much. You can always send to (gherold(at-sign)teachspin.com)

OK that's good info. So the low temperature silver solders now used to sol der copper pipes will take nickel plating? I can look into deep drawn cups . But we'll most likely want something custom. (and will only be ordering quantities in the ten's to hundreds.) When spinning a flat disc is deformed into a concave

Thanks again,

George H.

ection is active.

Reply to
ggherold

Some lead free plumbing solders contain antimony. I don't know if they can be plated over. But the silver/tin alloy solders will accept plating. So ckeck the package. Eric

Reply to
etpm