Stored Tire Wearout

The recent issue of Road and Track magazine reiterates that tires that are more than 5 years old should be replaced. They say that the rubber
dries out, even if stored in a plastic wrap, and that the tires lose their original grip. They quote test results.
I believe what they say, but I am now concerned about the tires on my classic car. About 7 yrs ago I bought up the last ones which were available in the US at that time as spares. The ones on my car are just as old. So are the tubes which I bought for the tires.
Are there any approved protection techniques for tires? Or can the essential oils be replaced with a swab of some kind? Why shouldn't storage in plastic help? After all, the vapor pressure should build up inside the wrap and help retain the volitles in the tire.
Al
--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

The problem is oxidation and degradation of the rubber. Rubbers contain antioxidants but after they are consumed, the oxygen in the air attacks the rubber. Wrapping in plastic like Saran may help somewhat but plastics are permeable to oxygen too. The only absolute way to preserve tires is to seal in metal containers with air displaced by an inert gas. Heat and light are also enemies of rubber. I've had cheap bicycle tires on kid's bike in garage crumble in less than 3 years. Maybe the best you can do is wrap in aluminum foil and store in a cool place. Frank
snipped-for-privacy@dol.net says...

Stored tires can be wiped with brake fluid (contains rubber perservates) and wrapped to increase life. However, rubber is not stable. Even sealed in inert gas it will continue to break chains and cross-link, but at a reduced rate.
Marc