Running in

In reply to John Turner who posted this on 15 August 2007 in the thread "Crime or misdemeanour". This post has been matured on my system, so I got this from google groups.

"simon" wrote

> Have you ever tried running in a new loco on a shunting layout ? >> Before it reaches scale 100mph its crashed.

> Why do you need to 'run in' a new loco? I've never, ever done it, > and never felt deprived. > John.

I've just obtained a Roco locomotive, that requires lubrication of the coupling-rod bearings before you start running it. That's 30 bearings each with a tiny fraction of a pin-point of oil.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

30 coupling-rod bearings would be a 15 driven axle Lok - I can't picture anything in the Roco catalogue that looks like that. The Swedish 3 unit D+D+D perhaps?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Exactly. Nice, innit? I managed to find a brown one.

Actually it's 12 axles and 3 jackshafts.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Sewing machine oil, presumably? 3-in-1 will gum up after a few months

Reply to
Peter

I'd advise using only oils etc made for models. Two brands I use are Labelle and AeroCar. I don't know about brands available in the UK/EU, but there will be several. The RC airplane and car types use them, so they should be easy to find. One reason is that many oils will attack the styrene plastic used in models, and may interact with some engineering plastics used for clips, gears, etc. Both Labelle and AeroCar specify which of their lubricants are plastic compatible.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

What I use is Seuthe Ultra-haft Õl. I wouldn't touch 3-in-1 with a barge-pole.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

I can believe that such a model might need lubrication Jane, but both Bachmann and (to a lesser extent) Hornby seem to apply enough oil in the manufacturing stage to ensure that it is never necessary to lubricate them again.

Running-in seems totally unnecessary as most UK models have enough 'slop' built-in already, in much the same way that most modern motor cars don't need the careful touch for the first few thousand miles.

Enjoy your new loco - it sounds a real beast! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Hornby actually recommended '3-in-One' for their models in the past, not sure whether they still do?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

I remember Tri-ang supplying little bottles of Shell lubricating oil, with a pin for application mounted in the cork used to seal the bottle when not in use.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan