Best 4mm 08?

Ok, out of touch a bit, both the Bachnamm and Hornby 08's have been out for some time now, what is the best, scale wise as well as slow running etc. What issues do each have, is one mechanically better, presumably both will be much the same to convert to 18.83 gauge and DCC?

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote in news:454b8f5b$0$97251$892e7fe2 @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

I've only got the Bachmann version and only one of those, I've fixed the pick-ups ... got the idea from someone who posts on here. Before the pick- ups were done it could be a little problematic, now it's a fantastic slow runner ... runs on DC

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I was always lead to believe that the Hornby one was superior.

I could be wrong though, I am normally, according to the wife.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson wrote in news:454bada0$0$8729$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

Funny that sounds like mine :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Wrong attribution Chris!

The comment was actually made by:

..and as both ladies will be Mrs.Wilson, should we suspect a conspiracy here?

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"Jerry" wrote

I've owned several of each and have had no real problems with either but have only really used them on DCC. The early Bachmann models were susceptible to dirt build-up on the pick up wipers which sat above the wheels and wiped on the wheel treads. It's a fairly easy matter to clean both wheels and pick-ups so I never really considered it to be a major problem.

Some of the Hornby 08s suffer from dry motor bearings resulting in a screeching noise and erratic running, but careful lubrication should stop that. I've also heard suggestions that the wheels are too rigid (minimal vertical springing) resulting in indifferent performance over track which is not level.

I currently only have one of the Hornby models, and I'm perfectly happy with it. In my opinion it scores on having better and finer detailing, including an excellent cab interior. It's running qualities are superb, but as I mentioned before I had no real qualms with the Bachmann model.

I can't comment on ease of conversion of either to 18.83mm gauge.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I thought I read a review of the Hornby 08 that said it didn't have a flywheel (I could be confused though).... do any other Hornby locos have flywheels?

Reply to
ab

Speaking as someone who had a Bachmann 08 and switched to the newer Hornby variety, I would have to say that the Hornby one is a modest improvement in several areas. Generall, the model looks slightly better to my untutored eyes. Running is very similar really, although the Bachmann pickups collected dirt very quickly in a dusty environment like my loft. Until recently, the Bachmann model was not DCC ready, and required some internal surgery to make space for the decoder. The current version is now DCC-ready, as is the Hornby.

Both have flywheel drive systems which make for smooth running.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

Bachmann reduced the size of the flywheel in order to fit a DCC socket which must have an adverse affect on low speed running.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"ab" wrote I thought I read a review of the Hornby 08 that said it didn't have a flywheel (I could be confused though).... do any other Hornby locos have flywheels?

AB. Yes, it does have a flywheel and although some find it an expensive gimmick, the look of the Hornby 08 is soooo much more at home shunting on a layout with the cab door open ! Just needs a driver now !

(And sound,oh, and working lights !)

Reply to
Andy Sollis

Sounds like it's a good model. Now, when are Hornby going to produce an 09 in standard blue...?

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

produce an 09

Or an ex SR class 12, quite there at the back, John you can have an ex LMS class 11 next!...

For those who don't know, the class 12's had Bullied-Firth-Brown type wheels.

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote

Sooner have a class DES1.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes, but that would need a lot of work...

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote

I didn't realise you were into easy options! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's what I would like as well, having a Southern bent.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Ian J. said the following on 07/11/2006 19:40:

I might be wrong as this isn't really my area, but wasn't an 09 just an

08 after the numbers ran out? (08 998, 08 999, 09 000, 09 001). ISTR something about the gearing though as well, although that wouldn't affect a model's appearance.

Which means that you could just renumber your 08 to be an 09, apart from watching for all the usual many variations within the class as a whole.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

produce an 09

just an

ISTR

Any 08 with high level air pipes could be renumbered to convincingly re numbered into the 09 xxx series, but any 08 that doesn't have high level pipes would need them added, assuming that they also have the extra compressor cupboard.

Reply to
Jerry

15 MPH for the 08, making them more practical for short main-line trips on an intensively trafficed network like the SR. This was at a loss of some tractive effort, I believe. Most, if not all,of the original SR allocation also had high level jumper cables/air pipes to enable them to shunt EMU stock. Much later, a small number of 08s were re-geared and re-numbered as 09s for use on other regions, again for use over main lines on workings like the ADJ- Llanwern trips. Brian
Reply to
BH Williams

"Paul Boyd" wrote

Brian Williams has pointed out the salient features of the 09 which cause it to differ from the 08s, but in one respect you're almost right. In the (almost) original D3-4000 number series (and yes I know the first were numbred 13000 etc, hence the 'amost') the 09s were numbered in amongst the

08s - in other words there was no a separate numbering series for them.

The more recent 09/1 and 09/2 locos, were actually converted from 08s.

John.

Reply to
John Turner