Best 4mm 08?

Hard to imagine now, isn't it, that there were over a thousand 08s and 09s, without mention those of their immediate predecessors which remained, in service at the end of the 1960s. At that point, Landore's allocation, for example, was rather more than that of the entire former WR today. My local station (Llanelli) had up to five outbased there into the 1970s, with further examples being at Fishguard, Carmarthen, Burry Port and Pantyffynnon. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Weren't the 09s geared differently for a higher speed and lower tractive effort?

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The best running loco, I've ever seen - a Hornby 08 with a Lenz Gold decoder in, complete with a Power module.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
newbryford

"newbryford" wrote The best running loco, I've ever seen - a Hornby 08 with a Lenz Gold decoder in, complete with a Power module.

Cheers, Mick

I have a Silver in mine, which is nearly as good !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis

"newbryford" wrote

I've got just such a beast and it's pretty cool, BUT nowhere near as good as the Life-Like Proto 2000 (Roco built) Norfolk & Western Y3 2-8-8-2 which I've just sold. The latter with a Lenz Gold (and no Power module) I timed at over 3 hours (without any hestitation or stalling) to cover one yard of Peco flexi-track.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

You mean you actually sat there for three hours or more to make sure that the thing didn't hesitate or stall for a while then automatically start up again? :-)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

LOL - of course not, it was tested whilst I was doing other things in the railway room. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So how do you know it didn't hesitate?...

Personally I think you sat watching it creeping along the test track whilst waiting for someone, anyone, to come into the shop! :~)

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote

I suppose I should have said that I didn't see it hesitate.

It would certainly hesitate on the shop test track, which is deliberately not cleaned too regularly in an attempt to reproduce the conditions many enthusiasts seem to keep their tracks. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You should get out more, John :-)

Reply to
jasper_goat

wrote

I'm beginning to think that!!! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

the shop test track, which is deliberately not cleaned too regularly in an attempt to reproduce the conditions many enthusiasts seem to keep their tracks. :-)

John.

Now why didn't I think of that when I worked in the model shop ? Here was me, polishing it so that thier locos ran a dream when I had done my biz, only for them to bring it back saying "It's done it again!" and take more money off them !

Only kidding ! I didn't charge the second time if it did come back !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis

They have the same mechanicals but I would imagine raw grunt at lower speed would be less as the gearing is for higher speeds so the power is spread across a wider speed band, hence the need for high speed trains to have more power than slow speed trains.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Before I emigrated in 1989 the only ones I saw were on the Southern Region. These had more hose etc connections than the 08s. I'm not sure if this was so they could run MU with other Southern region equipment, or whether they were equipped with EP brakes.

t'other Chris

Reply to
calee

equipment,

It was so that they could shunt EMU's as fitted stock, otherwise they would have to discharge the brake lines on the stock and run them as unfitted (or carry extension hoses). AIUI other than the class 13's [1] no BR shunter has ever been able to work in multiple whilst being controlled from one cab.

[1] and then that was only with it's slave unit.
Reply to
Jerry