Lights on Class 08

Could anyone tell me what, where, and why a Class 08 would carry lights? I have recently bought a green Hornby Class 08. It has four lampholders on the back (cabside) and 1 on the front (radiator) as far as I can make out. Thanks.

Reply to
Jim Northolland

besides marking (head/tail etc.) they were used for tripping short freights. I have a phot of a class 03(!) on the SR at Wimbledon doing so. Just because it was a shunter didn't mean they wouldn't venture out on main lines occasionally - and when doing so, like any train, they were required to carry the correct headcode. And when performing pilot duties, shunters would run EC stock to the sheds, often some distance away - e.g. Waterloo to Clapham - class 09, nearly 8 miles of round-trip mainline running. SR class 09 & 07 had a high speed setting (27.5 mph & 25.5mph respectively if memory serves... anyone?) so they could compete a tad better whilst doing this sort of work and even had a full set of brackets/lamps (six for SR) front & rear for reporting any train code.

Reply to
unclewobbly

Even when not on the mainline, shunting locos must display a red and a white light at each end. Or at least they used to, not sure of current rules.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart.

As a shunting engine, an 08 should display one red light and one white light at each end during hours of darkness. The brackets are for replacement oil lamps in the event of light(s) failure.

Reply to
ROBERT DREW

One of the weirdest workings was on the Swindon - Highworth branch after it was officially closed to passenger trains. There was a morning and evening workman's train consisting of the same lower-than-normal passenger stock but pulled by a class 03 shunter.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee