Bachmann 08 problem

Has anyone else experienced problems with a bachmann 08? Mine was a great runner when I bought it about 2 years ago, and was still until about 6 months ago. Whereas it was once one of my more forgiving locos, moving smoothly over points thanks to the flywheel and gearing, now it stutters and stalls all the time.

I have cleaned the wheels, to no effect. The problem seems to have appeared quite suddenly, after a period of inactivity. If I hold the loco and skew it slightly on the track, it runs - straighten it and it stops...

Even my Lima locos are running fine at the moment!!!

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? Would I regret trying to take the thing apart? How easy is that?

Regards,

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

What do you mean by "Skew it" ....Do all wheels remain connected to the track...??

If all wheels remain connected to the track then I suggest it it possibly down to the point of contact between the pick-up(s) and the wheel(s).

Have you checked to see if the "08" will run, with a live supply connected, whilst holding it OFF the track...??

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Most probably the pickups have collected enough dirt to cause problems, as they actually bear on the wheel treads themselves. It'll be these that want cleaning, assuming wheels and track is clean.

Conveniently, John H has just published an illustrated guide on how to do this, look at the Workshop section of:

A suggestion I've heard over on DEMod is to use a pair of fine nose pliers to twist the ends of the pickups through 90 degrees, so the thin edge makes the contact rather than the flat surface. It'll make sense when you see inside...

Blimey!!

Reply to
Ben

Thanks for replying...

By skew, I mean keeping all wheels on the track, so that the axels move slightly in the chassis.

When you say "with a live supply connected, whilst holding it OFF the track...??", how do you suggest I apply power? with wires to the wheels some other way?

It sounds like I need to open the thing up... how easy is that?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

You could also go to the Bachmann web-site and click-on "Service and Repair"....complete the form and tell them the problem.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

The thread below this one "Cleaning Bachmann Class 08 and 37 wheels" seems to cover my problem. The page on cleaning Bachmann 08 wheels refers to the "troublesome electrical contacts" and describes how to get at them.... I'll give that a go!

Reply to
Adrian

You can also see the 'How to' on adding new pickups to the 08 on my website at

Nick

Nick Gurney

**************************************************************************** **************************************************************************** ***********************

Adrian.... #1. Don't panic... #2 Skew(slight twist of the body with wheels on the track) This indicates there is a slight break in electrical contact. As your other models appear to run O.K. then it's not the track, process of elimination. The pick-ups *design* have been blamed for numerous "08" running problems and it appears to be showing up on your particular model.

The screws which hold the body in place are situated underneath the coupler pockets to which the coupling hooks are attached....thin screwdriver underneath and lift upwards. If you opt to remove the body, don't forget the wire from the front lights which is located in a tiny hole in the front near-side frame.

It is easy to strip the model......you may find it easier to remove the base-plate (This holds the wheels in-place, stops them falling out). Undo the plate screws and remove the wheels carefully.....the center axle is spring-loaded so be careful if the bearing, due to the grease, is stuck to the axle because there is a tiny spring attached to the underneath of the bearing which the axle runs in. The pick-ups are the thin strips of metal which are supposed to touch the tyre area of the wheel.....with the wheels out of the axles you should be able to adjust the pick-up metal strips by bending them down towards where the wheels would normally be....you shouldn't need to bend them too much but make sure they'll make firm enough contact with the wheels when the wheels are put back in place. As you replace the wheels, you may find it easier to fit the gear-wheel axle first and keep the connecting rods, the bars which connect the wheels, straight as you replace the remaining two axles....refit the base-plate and then the screws. You can also go to the dyserth-road website for instructions on how to fit extra external pick-ups which is quite easy to do if you have a soldering iron, wire and an insulated piece of suitable material.

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Personally I'd be loathe to do this as you'll then have a thin 'knife edge' that will cut into the wheel with time.

Reply to
Chris White

I took the 08 apart last night and found an astonishing amount of c**p on the pick-up wipers. Considering how few track-miles it's done, this certainly seems to be a weakness. Actually, although it is much better now, I think I need to do a proper job on it and clean the wheels too.

Thanks, and I'll check-out the link you supplied...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

This modification certainly works well, and I've used a similar setup on a variety of commercial locos.

I've found that it often helps if the PH/B pickup strip actually makes contact with the wheel-flange rather than the back of the tyre - it seems to be more self-cleaning - and where the pickups will be mounted on a non-conducting surface - like the keeper-plate on the 08 - I prefer to solder the pickup strips onto 2mm square brass busbars rather than bits of PCB. An added bonus of doing this is that it's easy to hook a power supply directly onto these busbars when the loco's upside-down on the bench for maintenance.

Some people apparently use track-scrapers as well, which should result in even more dependable contact, but no-one seems eager to show exactly how they've mounted them. Anyone like to show us how?

John M Hughes West and Wales Web at

caronprom

I'm not sure about that either - although there is a little "pip" on the Bachmann wiper which is responsible for scraping the muck of the wheel which then collects there.That "pip" wouldn't be too different to an edge...

Anyway, as I've already posted, a quick look at my 08 last night revealed a huge amount of dirt on all 6 wipers. I did a rough-and ready clean on them and things are much better - although not perfect. I'll get some cotton-buds and some IPA (India Pale Ale???) and try again at the weekend.

Thanks

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I find that white spirit will cut the grease off quite well.

Reply to
Ben

Leaves a residue though.

Reply to
Mark W

The pip is an indentation in the wiper and so has a rounded peak rather than a sharp edge.

As you surmise it's this pip that seems to be the problem as muck simply builds up around it until it's forced out of contact with the wheel. Doubtless it seemed like a good idea during the design stage, probably on the basis that the smaller contact area would give a greater point pressure and better pick up. As it turns out I believe the opposite is true and a simple flat wiper on the back of the wheels (hence no dirt coming off the track) would be best.

Reply to
Chris White

As used by Hornby.

Reply to
MartinS

It'd certainly do that if it was pressing hard enough, would need to be careful with pickup pressure. This method is being used as a temporary measure, the thin edge can cut its way through the crud on the wheels and maintain pickup.

Reply to
Ben

Not had any adverse effects that I've noticed, maybe its because I go over the wheels again with a dry cotton bud to remove any remaining gunk.

Cheers, Ben - back from Spalding MRC with a light load, just four MFA wagons. Lovely.

Reply to
Ben

I use Isopropyl Alcohol. Leaves no residue and is safer all round ;)

Reply to
Mark W