Heljan Class 58 model

There are currently no details on the Class 58 website address given.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The following was posted to the ModMod Yahoo group today...

Subject: New Class 58 Model

Dear all,

It is with great pleasure that I would like to announce that the Class 58 Locomotive Group are commissioning an all-new model of Class 58 in 00 scale. This will be made on our behalf by Heljan AS. It is hoped that this model will match, if not surpass, the high standard set by their excellent Class 35 Hymek. We are specifying the standards put forward by Rail Express (Issue 94, March 2004), with it is also hoped to incorporate a DCC circuit board which will allow tail lights to be switched off. This has been designed for us by Andi Dell.

We will be operating a subscription scheme to secure enough orders to make this model. A £10 deposit will secure a model for you, and if not enough orders are recieved for the project to proceed this deposit will be returned in full.

We plan to make this model available to the model trade, although buying direct from the group will assist us in our goal of securing an example of Class 58 for preservation. I must emphasise again that we have a minimum order to attain before model developement starts, so please support us by ordering the first release, 58001 in Railfreight Red Stripe livery, as currently at Barrow Hill. It is likely that this initial release will also be available through ONE selected outlet, watch out for further announcements.

We will be taking measurements from 58001 as soon as possible for the project. We would also be very grateful for any photographs you may have to assist developement. If you have, please feel free to send them to me. If they are on digital media I will happily provide a CD-R for them.

The Class 58 Locomotive Group will be at Burton on Trent Model Railway exhibition on 21st November. If you wish to talk to me about the project, I will be there. Survey forms to ascertain which liveries/locomotives are most popular will be on the stand. Please help us to plan standard releases by filling these in. The same forms will also be sent out to all DEMU and C58LG members.

We would expect the price to be similar to the Class 47 and Western, at about £90.

I can accept pre-orders for 58001 immediately, please make cheques payable to the Class 58 Locomotive Group. I hope to have a Credit Card facility made available through our website,

Other models will hopefully be announced in December, once we have recieved the survey results.

Richard Bucknall Model Project Co-ordinator Class 58 Locomotive Group

Adrian

/action

Jumps up and down like a crazed lunatic!!

Reply to
ViP

Is this for real or another dreamer?

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Dear Sir

No there is any news on a Class 58 yet. A company has contacted us and asked if if we would make the Class 58 for them.

Best regards, HELJAN A/S

------------------------------------

Yep dreaming. ;-(

Reply to
ViP

Rob Wilson wrote:-

I sincerely hope they have more luck than the H0 socitey had with it's Heljan

37

*IF* Hornby were planning to upgrade their own Class 58 to Class 50 standard, this news is likely to put that on hold.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Lack of interest & demand was the only reason the HO scale 37 didn't proceed.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner wrote:-

What makes you think a Heljan 58 would be any different?

The engine is so good looking? There were so many examples built? It was in service for such a long period? There is no reasonably good existing model?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

That last one sounds the most appropriate! Why not ask the C58LG yourself, through their website?

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

"kim" wrote

It's in OO-scale and there isn't a decent model already available. It will certainly sell well enough to cover the initial commissioning costs.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner wrote:-

How much does it cost to produce an all new locomotive?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

I don't know, but I think someone like Heljan would want a miniman initial order in the region of 1000-1500 units.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner wrote:-

So has Heljan agreed that if such an order is forthcoming they are willing to produce it?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I would be interested only if Hornby were definatly not upgrading theirs.

Reply to
ViP

"ViP" wrote

Well they've not made any indication of intent to do this.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

With the present, and future, climate I doubt Hornby would hold-back from the inevitable but, as with a lot of decisions UK-style, don't rush them ;-)

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

I think Hornby might be happy to give this a miss. Bearing in mind there are only 50 in the class and they are now all withdrawn, I imagine Hornby would think other items likely to offer a greater return.

An outside group commissioning a model seems like quite a good solution for a small(ish) class like this.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bartlett

Er, there were only 50 Class 50s, and, er, only 40(?) Q1s...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Ian J." wrote

And the latter only worked in an extremely restricted part of the country.

Hornby have alway been ones for peculiar prototype choices - B12, B17, Networker EMU, Rocket, J83 ................................................. all cases where a better prototype choice would have resulted in lots more sales.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ian Bartlett wrote:-

The iniitial costs of production are the same whether a model is commisioned by Hornby or by an outside group. If it was economically viable to commission an all-new locomotive from a third party manufacturer then Hattons, Rails, TMC, etc would already have done it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim