Heljan Class 47

Have just received my new class 47 and now must remove the body to insert the headcodes. As the instructions are a bit sparse on remove the body are there any tips, tricks, or warnings that you lot can pass on before I do any damage.

I hate pulling new locos to bits.

Cheers Jim

Reply to
James Gardiner

This is a good place to start.

Nigel Burkin is the undisputed expert on all matters relating to the Heljan

  1. Not striclty related but also useful is this page by Steve Jones

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"James Gardiner" wrote

It's a relatively easy job on most 47s, but some have a body which fits so tightly that it can be an absolute nightmare to remove.

There are four clips which hod the body to the chassis, each roughly in line with the cab doors. Insert some thick card (or similar) around each one, and then ease off the body.

If you've got one of the tight fitting bodies then one tip, which has worked for me is to remove the fuel tanks and then refit them in place using superglue or similar and then leave to set overnight. Then you will at least have something to tug on when trying to remove the body shell. Don't tug on the bogies - I've broken drive parts by doing that.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

As said elsewhere some bodies are VERY tight.

Easiest way is to remove the buffer beams - simply pull. Then insert small screwdrivers into the bufferholes and whilst some-one else holds the body PULL (not lever) the chassis using the screwdrivers - works everytime with no damage (for me anyway).

HTH

Reply to
David Skipsey

"David Skipsey" wrote

Hi Dave,

It's not quite that simple with the latest Heljan 47s - these have sprung buffers and even if you remove the buffer beams you are left with an open bottomed hole (early ones had a round hole) which isn't much use for inserting a screwdriver.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks John Followed the above and it worked, but was it tight. Have the feeling it will be a lot easier if I have to remove it again. Really a case of "be gentle its my first time"

Thanks Jim

Reply to
James Gardiner

Having yanked a few fuel tanks off HJ 47s in attempt to take the body off, I tend to grip onto the exposed bufferbeam sideframes which are part of the chassis block itself and pull at the body with my other hand.

Having just thought about this for half a second, I realise that most of my duffs are the circumcised variety and that suggestion wouldn't be much good for the early ones. :o(

Reply to
Ben C