Hornby Class 47

Hi All,

Bought an old class 47 cheap on ebay, runs ok and has cab lighting (bit strange) front and back at same time. Does anyone have a wiring diagram as it does not seem to make much sense to me? Would like to fit a Dcc decoder to both the motor and the lights, but it looks like one side of one set of bogies supply the feed to the motor and the other bogie has the motor fitted and gets the power from one side of this direct. Help, please?

Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

diagram as

motor and

Correct, as was the standard with both Hornby and Lima diesel chassis's.

IIRC [1] there *should* be a diode inline to each cab light (I though it was for head code illumination actually) and if you look carefully you should be able to see a wire coming up from the pick ups and going to the motor on the power bogie.

[1] been a long time since I last delved into the workings of a Hornby diesel loco...
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

If you go to the Hornby website you should be able to get a .pdf of the service sheet. I have just picked up one for my sick Q1.

Elliott

Reply to
Elliott Cowton

Hi Elliot,

Tried that, and the wiring of the exploded diagam does not look anything like what I have. The exploded diagram shows 2 wires (one to each set of wheels, track pickup) to the non powered bogie and also 2 sets of wires to the pickups on the powered bogie. I only have one wire to the non-powered bogie and nothing obvious to the powered bogie. Also have 2 lamps and 2 diodes (look like IN4001s) No diodes or lamps shown on the exploded diagram.

I suspect I have an older version as the model I have is in BR two tone green and Hornby do not show this variant on their website.

Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

Service sheets for older models (upto 1985'ish) can be obtained from

.

Cheers, Martyn

Reply to
M Roberts

Martyn, You are a star sir :)

Very many thanks.

Eddie.

Reply to
Edward Bray

On the older Ringfields there is no "wired" connection from the pickups. One side of the axle is uninsulated, thus the chassis block is live. Power is then taken to the motor brushes via the sprung strips that hold the brushes in place. This strip bears on a pin that is part of the chassis casting.

If you get the even older ringfields with the full brass endplate, now that's a good motor - fitted to the 47's with diecast metal chassis.

HTH, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan