Double Engined Class 47

As an experiments, I fitted another Ringfield drive unit to my 1970's Hornby Class 47 locomotive. I also fitted a steel weight to the chassis to aid traction. No problems in hauling 12 coaches, 16 Freightliner wagons or 24+ mineral wagons from a standing start around my mates 8'x4' layout, infact, it probably could have hauled more!.

What I'd like to know is, if I decided to go the DCC route, when I finally get around to building my layout, would I need to fit one or two DCC Decoders to the Ringfield drive units.

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Adams

You only want _one_ decoder per loco, unless of course the two mechanisims run at different speeds and cause misbehaviour on analogue at present, or you want feedback control. You will need a higher current decoder than normal.

Greg.P. NZ.

Reply to
Greg Procter

5 amps? :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

5 amps? I'd suggest you take those six inch nails out of at least one of the motor units!

I have several Lima BR33s with two motors and a large lump of lead added, they still draw less than an amp stalled. (but not much less) They run better, haul far more and are even reasonably quiet.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

How have you wired them, in series or parallel? I find particularly with Lima they perform even better in series. They go quite slow & are even more powerful.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Hi Kevin, I'll do my best to explain how I wired the two motor's. I wired directly from the terminal of No.1 motor directly to No.2 bogie. And did the same in reverse. Wired similar to a locomotive that has a single Ringfield motor fitted. I left both wires in place that connects both bogies to the second terminal. I added a steel weight measuring 50mm x 25mm x 20mm but left in place the traction tyres for added grip on both rails. Performance: It's a lot slower than a single Hornby Ringfield drive, but has very strong hauling power. You need to turn the controller up to notch 5 before anything happens, then it moves off very smoothly. Increase the controller to notch

10, and it's hauling the coaches, container wagons or mineral wagons at a more realistic scale speed, than any of the earlier Hornby locomotives could ever do.

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson.R.Adams

Would there be any benefit to using 2 decoders and program them as a consist ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

OK, they are in series. The slow running is the give away. Despite your description sounding more like they are in parallel ;-)

Kevin Martin

ps Like your photos of Irish railways. There is 5ft 3in gauge in Victoria & South Australia too. Irish engineers.

Reply to
Kevin Martin