Hornby N2 - any good?

As the subject, really - I want some more locos, the N2 and the 8F both look good, both use 5-pole motors so should run smoothly at low speeds - any downsides? I don't care about super-detail, I just like an engine to run nicely and have good traction without spending all day cleaning wheels (mentioning no tender-drive A4 Pacifics).

Guy === May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

The tooling for the N2 is a little dated - it was originally tooled for Airfix, but appeared firstly under the Mainline label. The chassis is certainly a big improvement though and the (N2) model gets a *qualified approval* from me.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

My N2 makes a funny noise when running, I think it is a gear / mesh problem. The motor is very good and the loco with extra weight added inside handles trains of about 7-8 Bachmann mk1 ok, although I usually run it with about 4 suburban.

As for the 8f, simply for me the best 00 rtr model out there, when weathered! The motor is superb with an excellent slow speed and fairly good haulage capability, I have a pair of them and together they handled a "test" train of 90 x 14ton bachmann tankers, no slipping.

Reply to
piemanlarger

There was an article on upgrading it in MRJ 20 by Allan Sibley. If I remember tomorrow (later today!) I'll look it out and summarise.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

And, having remembered:

The body is dimensionally accurate, but Allan didn't like some of the details, and changed others to represent his chosen prototype. Much better than most such articles (see Tim Shackleton's book for some of the lengths some people go to for this sort of thing).

No comments on the chassis: Allan built a new one (IIRC to P4; the article doesn't say).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Thanks, gents. I have put both on my birthday list ;-) What I don't get, I will buy later.

I am looking forward to getting that 8F - it looks magic. The N2 is likely to be a more useful everyday loco. How much extra weight is considered sufficient? I recently acquired a few square metres of lead sheeting which is currently improving running on my layout.

Interesting: 7-8 Bachmann mk. 1s - we currently pull six Hornby coaches with the A4 Pacific, with added weight in the tender. Much more than that and it starts to slip. What would be considered normal?

Guy === May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Excellent, thanks. My modelling skills are adequate for detailing, but I lack the dexterity or the patience for major cosmetic surgery, so that should suit me just fine :-) MRJ 20, you say? Can I get back-numbers do you know?

Guy === May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

By "some people", you would mean the likes of me! :-)

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

It was available from Wild Swan price UKL 1.50 + P&P when I was building my collection a year or two back. Otherwise Nick Tozer has most of them at reasonable prices.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

As much as you can squeeze in really. I have a Bachmann A1 that I managed to get up to weighing 454gm or 1lb. Pulls really well till the motor overheats but that is another (old) story and nothing to do with weight. I have added weight to all my tender drive and loco powered models where I can and it make for much better running, some you can only improve slightly some considerably such as in the Hornby Merchant navy and Duchess. I left my West Country though as the wheelslip is prototypical!

lead sheeting which is currently improving running on my layout.

No, not if you mean thats all it can pull. Hornby coaches (apart from the new super drag Pullmans) run alot more freely than the backman mk 1, most people I know have taken out the weight in theMk1 which helps alot. My Tender drive A3/4 can handle 12 coach mk 1 trains with ease witht he extra lead in the tender which would equate to around 15+ Hornby. Perhaps you have worn or missing traction tyres.

Reply to
piemanlarger

The A4 can pull six up 1 in 100, or round 2nd radius, but more is challenging. How much does your tender weigh? The traction tyres are OK, the loco is only a year old.