8F DCC fitting

Lucky me! A shiny new Hornby 8F - and DCC ready.
Only thing is, there's nowhere to fit the decoder! The Lenz decoder is simply too big to fit. Has anyone else done this, and id so what
model decoder will fit inside the loco body.
Ta
Guy ==May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting. http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Which Lenz decoder did you try? Their smallest one - I cannot remember the type number but it is intended to fit into Z gauge locos - will fit almost anywhere.
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Tender, tender, tender.
-- Cheers Roger T.
Home of the Great Eastern Railway www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

I think you'll find a Lenz LE1025E should fit inside the boiler without too much trouble.
John.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:40:35 -0000, "John Turner"

Thanks all three of you - I don't wanbt to run wires to the tender, there is nearlybutnotquite enough room for the decoder. I have a 1025E (I think) which doesn't have the 8-pin plug. If there's loads of room in the firebox of the N2 then I'll mobve the plug to the other controller, else I'll have to get a smaller one but I don't know which one to get. Two steps forward, one step back.
Just out of interest, if you put a voltmeter across your tracks what voltage do you get?
Guy ==May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting. http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

If it doesn't have the plug it's an LE1025A.
John.

Use either the TCS M1 micro decoder with a 2 amp stall rating or Digitrax 143 and wire them directly into the loco. If you want a plug then use the Dz143PS both of them fit in the boiler with lots of space to spare.
That depends on what sort of voltmeter you use. As the voltage isn't a sinewave a normal meter won't read the true RMS voltage.
The voltage on the rails isn't something that I would normally get worried about measuring. Volts drop isn't something that bothers me as I always use very heavy bus wires and solder droppers to every piece of rail. If I suspect that something is wrong with the DCC equipment than it's out with the 'scope to have a look.
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

snip
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:05:12 +0000, Dick Ganderton

I know. That's what I was wondering about - whether the voltage observed is a bit low due to volt drop or form factor. But since I've now crawled about and probed at the main bus I am confident it's form factor :-)
Guy ==May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting. http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk