LNER Dolphin

Anyone have any pictures or model sources for the LNER "Dolphin" wagon? I just came across a reference and am interested in finding out a bit more. My son is very keen on freight trains; most taken with the 8F :-)

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Dolphin ? Just had a quite look at my references and can't see them listed, what were they used for - it's possible that their official name was something else.

Reply to
Jerry.

Possibly one of the PW wagons?

Reply to
Mike

Indeed they were of the CE Dept. and lasted until (at least) 1988. They were built by LNER to diagram 99, designed to carry 60ft rail sections.

Can't find any pictures online I'm affraid but I can say they had a TOPS code of YAO when in BR service and are described as "Early 50Ton Bogie ballast, rail and sleeper" wagons.

There is a picture of one in the Cheona BR Wagons series book No. 7, page 35!

HTH

Reply to
Jim M

Ok, it's becoming clear now, they were called 'Dolphin' under BR ownership, not the LNER....

There is a photo [plate No. 302 on page 140] of on in the OPC publication "A pictorial record of LNER wagons" by Peter Tatlow (ISBN 0-902888-92-7) - I have no idea if the book is still in print as I obtained my copy in the early '80's.

Reply to
Jerry.

My copy of that book is a 1998 reprint.

ISBN: 1-899816-05-4

the reference to plate no. etc... still holds.

Should be (fairly) readily availiable - seemed lots to be had when I bought mine at the glasgow fair this year.

(list is £25 , but I paid £12.99)

Craig

message

Reply to
Craig Douglas

Further to my last message,

The book has had a slight change of title to: LNER Wagons An Illustrated Overview and is now published by pendragon.

The book has had only minor corrections since those earlier print runs.

message

Reply to
Craig Douglas

That would also explain the changed ISBN.....

Reply to
Jerry.

"Craig Douglas" wrote

I've got stock in the shop if anyone's struggling to find a copy.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Excellent, thanks. All now makes sense (esp. the change of name, that explains a bit).

John, could you email me at guy dot chapman at spamcop dot net? Thanks.

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Books as well !

You wouldnt be prepared to order some Plastruct (original not Fineline) would you - I want to buy a pack each of N scale handrails, steps, step rails and laddering (for a big factory project)

Local shop less interested in ordering stuff they dont normally carry and they only have Fineline - Contacted Plastruct but they said order via a shop.

Reply to
Mike

Arrived today: spot on. Thanks, John.

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote

Not sure by may have these in stock.

John.