Train on M1

Heard of Radio 2 this afternoon that a Train was on the back of a lorry going up the M1,

Anyone any idea what it was?

Jon

Reply to
Jon

J.R.Alsop

In message , J.R.Alsop writes

That's not a train, but a locomotive (or, if you must, an engine)

Reply to
John Sullivan

I've seen quite a few; apparently track access charges are such that it is cheaper in some cases to deliver by road. How stupid is that?

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Ah, that's Radio 2 for you. What do they know about it all eh? Nufink!

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

My GF and I saw, IIRC, the Flying Scotsman heading south on the M1... could've been the M6, can't remember now... at three in the morning a few years ago. Quite a sight it was too with all the flashing lights on the truck and trailer, and on the police escorts too, reflecting off the great paintwork.

We pulled into the next service station and joined a large group of people up against the barrier waiting and watching it go past. Can't think of anything better to be doing at three AM on a motorway!

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

73129 and 73136 were both on the move by road from Hither Green to Booth's, Rotherham. 73129 was noted traversing the M25 late evening whilst 73136 was sighted on the M1 north of junction 22

Nick

Nick Gurney

I regularly see trains on the M1, if you mean continuous trains of vehicles spaced a short distance apart moving slowly ;-)

Reply to
Richard

Heard this on the local Nottingham news yesterday too. Was around Junct 25 at 5pm.

Passed 56050 at about 10:30pm last Thursday even Bel going to Rotherham for scrapping :-(

Could have been anything. My job used to let me have access to what it would have been with the Abnormal loads lists, but it's all civilian now, with the companies having their own escort ala the continent.

Andy

Anyone any idea what it was?

Jon

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

You're lucky, on the M6 it's a case off "service suspended due to track relaying or bridge repairs" just about everywhere north of Birmingham... never venture further south.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

What gauge do they run on in lane 3, because the trains I see are close coupled single occupancy carraiges usually doing about 90+ :-)

Reply to
Mick

That irritates me as well, and why don't people talk about the 'Railway Station'?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Because they don't talk about a 'Public Service Vehicle Station' when they talk about travelling on a Motor Bus or Coach. We might not like the phrase 'Train Station' but it is a correct alternative to Railway Station..

Reply to
Jerry.

"Alan Holmes" wrote

why don't people talk about the 'Railway Station'?

Because they always manage to get to the "train spotter" in his anorak to start taking the P*** first! (wouldn't mind, but I use an enamelled mash can rather than a thermos!)

Surely we should be, if anything, "loco spotters" in this day and age....?

:-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

"Alan Holmes" wrote....

I agree with you - it's always been called a "railway station" in my mind. But if you go to a bus station to catch a bus, then logically you go to a train station to catch a train. Or a taxi station to catch a taxi, or an aeroplane station to catch a 'plane, or a boat station to catch a ferry???

In other words, each form of transport has it's own terminology, so why can't people leave it at "railway station"?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Everyone knows that 'railway station' and 'train station' are the same thing - it's not going to confuse anyone. It's not really worth worrying about IMO...

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk)

You go to a 'bus station to go on a 'bus journey, as opposed to a railway journey. A train is a collection of things joined together, gears, thoughts, etc. Would a single DMU constitute a train?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

The more 'upper class' train spotters always have called themselves Loco Spotters...

I'll get my anorak !

Reply to
Jerry.

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote

And what about all the ones that take wagon & coach numbers - oh and buses (for my mate Terry's benefit the latter).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Wagon spotters surely don't need a "correct" name. After all, who is going to admit it? ;-)

Reply to
Arthur Figgis