Train on M1

Always armed with Ian Allan's Loco Spotters' Annual!

Reply to
MartinS

Sounds to me like another Americanism that's crept into Britspeak. AFAIK signs in the UK refer to "Railway Station".

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

And in my terminology too, but seems the BBC don't agree, but then they are always trying to manipulate the language.

Railway Station - a place on the railway where trains stop.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The media rarely use a long word when a shorter one will do. I guess it dates back to when headlines were hand typeset and they wanted to use the largest letters possible. "Variety" (US showbiz paper) is well known for its cryptic headlines.

Americans used to call a major passenger/freight terminal a "depot" (dee-poe), but I think "train station" is more common these days.

Reply to
MartinS

And in the early days the British called them a train shed I believe.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

A train shed (these days at least) is the overall roof structure - like the big arched one at St Pancras. Only the bigger stations usually have them (there are exceptions), it would be a odd term to use in the majority of cases?

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Yes,true. But Martin was referring to major termini. Lawley Street, the original terminus of the London and Birmingham was called a train shed in the Act, as was York's first IIRC.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Apparently they were transporting another engine to replace the Green Arrow at a function in the next week or two - could it be for the NRM special transport event (200/400th. anniversary) week ?

The report mentioned the 'Oliver Cromwell'.

David

Reply to
David F.