Steam age breakdown train

Folks,

Once I get the new layout up and running I fancy running a "Breakdown train" and whilst I'm waiting for planning permission on the layout from SWHTBO (she wants to convert the garage to a new bedroom!) I thought I could put the necessary models together.

Before I start reaching for the sticky backed plastic though I thought it'd be a good idea to make sure I'm on the right track (little pun there ).

I'm assuming the following make-up - working from the engine ... carriage for the breakdown crew, tool van, match trucks/crane, goods brake. With the carriage, tool van and brake van braked and the crane/match trucks through piped ... or would everything be braked ... or have I got the make up wrong, for instance wold the brake van be in reality some form of passenger/coaching stock brake van?

The period I *try* to model is around the time of grouping L&Y/L&NW very early LMS

Reply to
Chris Wilson

You'll be lucky (hope you are :-)), quick look through 3 miscellany books shows couple of photos of L&Y breakdown cranes in L&Y Misc Vol2 (they were selling it cheap). But short of going through 10 LNWR , 30 LMS journals and years of backtrack ....

Good luck. Simon

Reply to
simon

Of course google occasionally brungs up something in the 6000000 hits on an obscure topic.

1930's LMS but a hint ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Couldnt help adding this one on same site ...

simon