Bored, bored, bored

As title ...
I fancy making up a kit or two, white metal, brass or plastic not realy
fussed.
Has to be rolling stock, 4mm, 00 guage, ideally something suitable for a
grouping era layout set up in the North West, cash not really an issue, one
good loco kit or a few smaller kits all affordable (at the moment!).
I just can't make my mind up ... I'm looking at a couple of dozen or so
Cambrian plastic kits ... a few wite matal kits ...
Just haven't really found anything that says, "Yup, build me".
Any suggestions folks ... good kit(s) ... LNWR/L&Y/PO/early LMS ...
something that would be seen in the NW.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
"Chris Wilson" wrote
Ratio make some nice 50' LNWR arc roof corridor coach kits. They almost fall together, so the real challenge would be in painting them.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"John Turner" wrote in news:xZednWCAN9j- snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:
Nope ... they'd be in ex-work LMS colours :-) LNWR carriages look fantastic but they do have to be well painted. There's a few brass LYR carriages about ... I may just buy a couple of rakes. I'll tell you what I can't find anywhere though are LYR brake vans - I may just have to join the society to get my hands on some drawings.
Anyway ... Ratio coaches, nice idea ... and I have some gibson Mausell wheels lying around somewhere so that's a start ...
... anymore ideas folks?
Reply to
Chris Wilson
Well, if you want a challenge, I have a range of LMS and MR coach kits in etched brass in 4mm. These kits iclude exotica like Inspection Saloons, Invalid saloons and Dining cars. If you are interested pm me at snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com for a list. You probably know that etched brass is a day and a night ahead of any plastic kit.
Alistair
Reply to
Alistair Wright
Have you finished that London Road Model yet ? My favourite ex LNWR is the cauliflower. GEM do a nice whitemetal one but someone else (poss LRM) do a brass version.
Wizard models do some nice brass LNWR coaches - that would be a different challenge, if you go for them then let me know how you get on, I have one that will start soon.
cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
"simon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:
Nope, didn't get it in the end the bloke who runs London Road doesn't take email or phone calls, he expects you to put a cheque in the post and order away sight unseen. Well that may be all well and good for existing customers but not good enough for me. Having said that he'll be at Leatherhead this year - I'll be popping over with a pocketful of cash and I'll see what he has to offer then.
Yup seen those but plumped to go for some CSP L&Y brake vans, they do six wheelers and four wheelers. No delivery until late Sept but as they are the only folks to do L&Y goods brakes I'll just grin and bare it. If they're any good I'll treat myself to their Barton Wright Class F15 - just the ticket for my layout.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
My local line was joint LNWR and Midland so L&Y is almost complete mystery. For a quick nice model theres branchlines upgrade chassis and details for Hornby/Dapol L&Y pug. Nice little shunter for tootling around deadly curves.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
David Geen does a good range of L&Y stuff, although no brake vans.
Graham Thurlwell
Looks an interesting range esp if keeps expanding. Doesnt say if brass/whitemetal etc though.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
There is a clue
Reply to
Trev
Graham Thurlwell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d.thurlwell.btopenworld.com:
Thats a bloody good find, thank you, single plankers were high on my list.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
Yes indeed, did see that and thought it might suggest some bits at least in (presumably) whitemetal. However am new to the idea of coach kits in that medium.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
"simon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:
My local was East Lancs then LYR then LMS then BR and then of course just when the local area got turned in to a dormatory town for Bury, Bolton and Manchester ... the line was closed!
The "new" ELR was going to preserve it but in the end they took the Rawtenstall line instead ... idiots!
Anyway ...
Modeling Helmshore Goods Stn, was set between Helmshore proper and Haslingden. It was only there to feed the local mills and take quary traffic from the Grain Moor tramway. I've bent history a little and turned teh tramway into a branch and Helmshore Goods is now Haslinden South Junction :-)
Reply to
Chris Wilson
I'm lucky, we have the preserved bit - Battlefield line - then still running bits of Ivanhoe line. Plus at Shakerstone museum theres a wealth of original artefacts from the area if want to go into real detail. Then although the specific mine want to model disappeared in mid 60's it seems local contractors did much of the building work for quite a few pits and variuos buildings are similar even if different owners so can get a good idea of how some things looked from Snibston mine museum.
Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
Build a tram!
Reply to
James Goode
There's thousands to choose from!
Reply to
MartinS
In his "photos" section he only shows white metal casting! The L&Y coaches are listed as TBA, so perhaps he has some photo-etching done. (white metal cast coaches would be heavy!)
Greg.P.
Reply to
Greg.Procter
what about the ratio coach kits. Not too concerned about things being exact (with my kit building dont have much choice) just look reasonable and run well. Would like a few ex-midland local ones to run small train. Any comments welcome. Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon
"Greg.Procter" wrote in news:op.u0x6mfect7a1n0@promodel-5a9821:
Well he's obviously rich and doesn't need the trade, he's one of the folks I emailed last week wanting to buy £110 worth of his kits meanwhile he hasn't even bothered to reply.
Reply to
Chris Wilson
Assuming you mean Dave Geen, have you tried phoning him? He usually has a stand at the Tyneside Model Railway Exhibition at the Gateshead International Stadium. This year's show is on the 7th and 8th of November. We're taking Thorpe Thewles.
Reply to
Graham Thurlwell