4 into 2

Sorry if this is an absurdly basic question, but I want ot take a section of track from 4 to 2 lines (before a geographical restriction) and was wondering what would be the usual way of achieving this; does up fast cross down slow? I guess it must. Any links to pics of real sites appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Most locations have slow lines or loops into fast / main lines.

Reply to
titans

Yebbut, wossit look like? I'm trying to picture it, y'see.

F'rinstance, around here we have the standard (I understand) down fast, up fast, down slow, up slow. Logically, down slow would cross up fast and then up slow would join up fast.

^ v | | | |\ |\| \ | |\ \ | | \ \ | | | | | | | | ^ V ^ v

Is that right? Or would they lay the lines out as slow fast fast slow all the way to make it easier?

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

Hmmm. Most locations I've seen it look something like this:

DS DF UF US

| | |\ | | \ |

Reply to
Dirk Belcher

What are you modelling, ex MR, GWR ? If so that would be one way of doing it.

Other lines, for example the ex LNER, grouped lines in the direction of travel rather than use -

Below is a typical 4 into 2 ex LNER track layout, note the sand drag # and that the slow line that ends in the sand drag was restricted to non passenger traffic.

Reply to
Jerry.

Aha! And since I'm notionally attempting to be LNER...

Which makes perfect sense, thanks. That's how I'll do it.

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

I should add that I live in Reading, so almost all the prototype I get to see is GWR - I was forgetting that they Did Things Differently ;-)