AL chipbreaker part Duex

This is a sort of follow up to this question of a week ago... (Sorry, I've been way to busy fishin' to keep up with the NG, caught more fish in the last three days than any other time in my life - fishin' was HOT!)

Anyway, I read Harold's great response on how to grind a chip breaker - great post. My question, what is the best geometry for a general turning and facing tool out of HSS to do AL on my home lathe? Let's say the chip breaker cross section has a rake line at a certain angle and length then a curve at a certain diameter followed by a breaker line at a certain angle and length. (One or both of these lines could have a 0 length).

I'd just like a best guess for a start point. I've never successfully made an AL chip breaker HSS tool, especially on the light cuts I use on one-of parts on my small lathe. If anybody has a pic of a tool that works, I'd love it. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:45defa4f$0$58065$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...

Karl,

If you read my comments in the posts in question, you'll realize that a chip breaker for fine cuts is nearly impossible, although you can scale it down to the point where it might be functional. Chips break very best when coarse feed and deep cuts are taken-----and that's usually when you need to break the chip for safety reasons. Do you have a specific need? Could be I could guide you through something that might work. Hard to say-----I don't worry much about breaking fine chips, knowing it's not easy, and usually not much of a problem, anyway.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos