Steve Jones Photo Websites

It seems Steve Jones has closed his photo websites and some of the other extremely valuable resource sites which many of us have freely used for such a long time.

A quick check, however, suggests that

is still operational, at least for now.

I trust all will wish to join me in thanking Steve for all of the unpaid work which went into providing those facilities for so long.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They were undoubtedly useful, however the class 47 and class 58 sites are as I type, operational.

Reply to
DJO

Anyone know why he's done this?

Reply to
Tessy

That is a shame. I thought his Samson Rail and particularly Class 47 galleries were very useful resource. I hope Electric Nose continues! Perhaps you could offer to host the pictures on 53a-pix.co.uk John?

Jim

Reply to
Jim H

The 47 site is still running, impressive undertaking, EVERY 47 is there!

Djo

Reply to
DJO

I think it's known as "taking one's ball home", although his sites were genuinely a great modeller's resource.

Interesting to note that, although he has severed several ties with British modelling (*has* he actually gone cold turkey?), he still manages to take a few sideswipes at it and anyone of a different viewpoint to his own on the "electricnose" site.

Shame. Sort of.

Denz.

Reply to
Denzil McThickenthrash

I hope it stays, there's an awful lot of work gone into that.

Reply to
Ben

I agree. The 47 is one of my favourite class and I have spent many an hour looking though this site. I do hope this one remains.

Reply to
Meadgreen-TMD

Except for those where the picture was by Steve himself, those have gone!

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"Jim H" wrote

Although Samsonrail has most definitely gone, the class 47 Gallery was still up and running earlier this evening, along with that for the Class 58, both of which were joint ventures between Steve & others.

I already have a bandwidth problem with my photo galleries to the point that I've just switched from a UK-based to a USA-based server to keep the cost of providing a free service to reasonable levels. On that basis alone I can understand why Steve has curtailed his photo websites, although others have already interpreted his actions differently - but then they would, wouldn't they?

John

Reply to
John Turner

Apologies for following up my own post.

I've done a little digging, well I've trawled through the recent posts on the [demodellers] group, and discovered the cause.

Between 10-12 Dec a number of people upset Mr Jones by not agreeing 100% with his feelings for the Bachmann 44/45/46 and suggesting that although it had its faults it was still miles better than the previous offerings.

True to form Mr Jones used his moderator status and chucked them off the group. The people he chucked off included at least one long term poster who had been on the group since its inception.

Following this a number of other posters suggested, nay, stated categorically, that the only people who had ever been chucked off the group were people who disagreed with Mr Jones and that this unfortunately came over as being extremely arrogant.

Immediately after this Mr Jones basically tendered his resignation as moderator (although he didn't use those words, in essence this is exactly what he did) and passed the reigns to Si Bendall (who looks to have re-instated various posters immediately).

Over the last couple of days Mr Jones has removed his photo web sites from public viewing.

Now, if I remember correctly, this is more or less an identical repeat of what happened on [modmod] about a year or so ago. Mr Jones got upset with people not agreeing with him, got some very negative feedback regarding his authoritarian moderating abilities and resigned. He also removed his photo web sites.

On this last occasion he created [demodellers] almost immediately and pretty soon afterwards his photo web sites reappeared.

I wonder if we'll see another yahoo group appear in the next couple of days!

Reply to
Tessy

Sad I call him. A small minded individual who can not accept others having different views from himself. Still, there are many of us who can use a camera, if only trhere were still steam trains passing by the bottom of my garden!

Reply to
piemanlarger

Has anyone actually been able to speak to him and get his version? He could just be updating everything. What ever you think about his sometimes very poor mailings these sites were very good, lets not be too hasty just yet!

-- With Kind regards from

Mike in West Sussex. UK

(00 stuff)
(books and vids)

(Note, address does not work to stop the stupid low life spammers from attacking)

Reply to
Mike

Are modmod and/or demodellers now functioning?

My search on Yahoo didn't show up either of them.

:-\

-- Brian "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a person"

Reply to
Brian Watson

Doesn't this suggest a reason other than the ball/home theory? Then again, if Steve has turned his back on th UK modelling scene (has he? or has he just stopped ordering Bachmann?), why would he want to keep the sites open? Any site containing large numbers of photos such as those provided by Steve Jones and John Turner costs money to run. How many of us here would be willing to foot the bill? Not many I would suggest.

Adrian

Reply to
The Bradshaws

DEModellers has plenty of traffic but ModMod now has very little now.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Yahoo cannot find many groups at all, its inability to search properly is not confined to these groups! Basically you can only get into a vast majority of groups if you know the direct address of it...

Reply to
DJO

Have you tried the 5AT web-site....??

The new breed of New Generation Steam ....??

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Oops!!.... the way another contributor was putting it over, I was beginning to think it was just me;-)

Whilst I don't wish to offend, I did find myself agreeing with SJ on certain aspects of his thoughts regarding certain manufacturers efforts and I too will not purchase their models until they correct their detailed faults.

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Brian,

Have you tried a programme called, "Girafa"...?? It's FREE and it's not shown nor listed as spyware either..... This programme will allow you to choose from many company search engines eg., Yahoo!....Google....AOL.... and many more.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin