Steve Jones Photo Websites

"DJO" wrote

You can always go to the Yahoo Groups home page and begin a search from there for any particular interest group.

I've just typed "diesel & electric modellers" into Google and it threw the Yahoo group up on the first page.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Its a setting which the list owner gets to choose, to hide it from the index or not. Seems to work as expected, for my groups anyway. Question is why the owners of these general groups want to hide them.? The ones I have hidden are closed lists for committee members only. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

still has to boil up tho' lacks the get-up 'n' go of diesel or electric traction...

Reply to
UncleWobbly

check for a cache on google... the crawler that never throws a site away...

Reply to
UncleWobbly

Why not, agreeing with his views on the models is not the issue, I agree with some but not all. The issue is the manner in which he responded to those who did not fully agree. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

It does have other power options too and I think they would be foolish to stick their necks out if what they said wasn't correct. We can only hope,wait and see....

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Keith,

I concur....

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Yes a shame that they've gone/going, although I can pretty much understand why they would after some of the personal insults about Steve that I've seen over the past couple of weeks, including one in the emails section of a website which says they only publish positive emails which don't have personal insults... Makes me wonder if people really realise quite how much more than differing opinion Steve Jones has offered the hobby online - eg: were they aware of the huge totally free photo sites when they took a dig at him?

Simon

Reply to
Simon

"UncleWobbly" wrote

I seem to remember a similar project being muted in the USA maybe ten years or so ago. I don't think that made any sort of progress, probably for the reasons you've mentioned. Very easy to create a website; I'll be more convinced when (I really mean "if ever") there's a full-size prototype up and running ............ and proving itself! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I found this

Maybe this will help.

-- With Kind regards from

Mike in West Sussex. UK

(00 stuff)
(books and vids)

(Note, address does not work to stop the stupid low life spammers from attacking)

Reply to
Mike

It looks very German to me.....

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

It seems like the internet archive

didnt pick up the site much at all either :( While the main pages are there, the -majority- of the images are not.

Reply to
Justin Colson

On what basis are you defending this man?

It IS a shame that his pictures are gone, no doubt. His 'phot sites were excellent, nobody can question that at all. Neither can they question his ability to stir, inflame and generally behave like a petulent teenager.

When it came to insults, this person always gave as good as he got: nine and a half times out of ten got them in first. Look at:

  1. Posts on ModMod (left immediately when he didn't like the direction the group was taking. Formed DEmodellers.)

  1. Posts on DEmodellers. (Specifically his OTT moderating. You disagree and you're an idiot, or such. Ties in with 3. below.)

  2. Posts on this newsgroup. (Ian's Bachmann Deltic review.)

Note to the above, I cannot really be bothered to trawl through archives and quote directly, but you get the picture, especially if you witnessed first hand. To get a taste, try joining 1. or 2. above and check the archives to see how Mr Jones behaved as a poster/ moderator. Hmmm.

For all that, I do still believe that the hobby will be a poorer place without him. Every side of every coin is welcome in all facets of life. His opinions were always well constructed, if a little "vigourous". And true enough, some of the more PERSONAL stuff said about Mr Jones on this very group has been disgusting. (Let's not forget though- he commenced with "round one" of the whole insult thing.)

My only problem with Mr Jones centres around how he behaved towards people, espcially those of a differing opnion/ level of reason/ dared to criticise him. What is he after, a plethora of emails telling him that he is loved and missed and beg him to return and replace his pictures on the web?

Whatever.

Denz.

Reply to
Denzil McThickenthrash

I'm not defending anyone. Simply saying it's a shame that his very useful photo sites are gone, but that it's hardly suprising after some of the personal attacks aimed at him that I've seen in various places over the past couple of weeks. Don't think I'd continue to provide useful info like photo sites for free for very long if people did the same to me either... would you?

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Simon,

Maybe Steve should try to understand the basic human principle - if you're going to dish it out, you'd better learn to take it as well.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"DJO" wrote

The following is from Simon Bendall as is reproduced from demod:-

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's more or less what I did, but I entered "modmod" and "demodell" into the search engine (in seperate operations) and it found neither.

-- Brian "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a person"

Reply to
Brian Watson

Thanks, Colin.

-- Brian "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a person"

Reply to
Brian Watson

It's strange people only focus on his negative reviews, mainly the Bach Peak and Deltic (no one seems to have contradicted his opinion on the Peak). His pieces on the Heljan Hymek and Hornby 50 were very encouraging and certainly lead me to believe he gave praise here he thought it was due (his views on the Heljan 47 were fairly reserved too).

I think he was instrumental in pointing that while we might be lead to believe that uk models were finally at the level of various European, American and Japanese manufactures, we are still a long way behind and there are further improvements that manufactures could make. I personally think that the improvement in quality of UK D/E modelling is vast, but I'd prefer a situation where every new release is better than the last, ratherthan have Hornby et al reach the level they have now and then just go to sleep for another 20-30 years.

The loss of the photo websites is sad, but I don't think any amount of emails discussions of groups etc is going to bring them back.

(Strange that a number of people who have expressed very negative opionions about Steve Jones, seem to want to spend so much time discussing him now)

Reply to
P Morgan

"P Morgan" wrote

wasn't that true of the Messiah too? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner