newbie

I'll start by saying how glad I was to find your newsgroup and the site that goes with it. Here's my situation:
when I was about 12 I had an intercity 125 set and a few other locos - it
got stored at my mum'. Now I'm nearly 40 and have kids of my own I decided to resurrect it. I was disappointed to find my brother had swiped my deltic, warship and shunter for his kids but at least the original set was left. However, the tracks just don't seem to conduct properly. I've tried sanding the tops and a few new fishplates but it still isn't right.
A friend has suggested I'd be better off buying new track. So my questions:
Could I get away with cleaning and more new fishplates - if so can I get them anywhere cheaper than1.20 for a bag of 12? Where is the cheapest place to buy new track?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Are you sure its the track and not the locos needing a clean / lube after a long storage. Have you tried putting a meter to the track to check voltage? Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob. Short answer is no. Have you got any tips for cleaning/lubing/refurbing an old engine.
Ant

If you're having problems with track - particularly the track-on-the-carpet approach, then you should check that the power clip (if you're using one) is a good fit (the connectors are in firm contact with the rail) The movement of the train can be enough to dislodge it, then the train stops suddenly.
you can buy a track cleaning rubber from peco (PL-41), which you can use to clean the train wheels if you square off one of the edges with a craft knife. An electrolube pen ( Peco - PL 64) can help cure electrical pick-up problems (do not apply this to parts of the wheels that ar in contact with the track!)
Which locos are you looking to refurbish?
The Hornby HST's fairly robust, ocasionally the power clip that connects to the front bogie bogie come off and the wheels get dirty.....thats been about it with my 2. Spares-wise, pretty much everything's available for it; light lenses bogies, cab glazing etc...
Craig

Had the same problem. Now model in N gauge but the family wanted to see my original HO locos. This was 20 years after they were put in storage.
Simply put the track was a writeoff. Cheaper to invest in new stuff than try and clean the old pieces. I gave up after sandpaper and steel wool failed to budge the muck on the rails. (I was not responsible for the storage of the track at the time just the locos - you live and learn I guess).
Locos were clean, straight and dust free.
Stripped them down and used Peco lube on all the internal moving parts and gears - not wheels. Gently worked the gears manually to make sure they had not seized. Used the Peco wheel cleaner on the wheels. I find this tool simple but effective. Took about 30 minutes in total. The engines ran first go when applied to clean track.
Then wrapped them up and put them away again after the kids watched them go.
Maybe in 20 years the grandchildren may want to see them.
Andrew

site
get
Thanks for the tips.
So where do I get the Peco lube and wheel cleaner and where's the cheapest place to buy new track? Any ideas?

Your nearest model shop? Check http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk / Mail order companies (e.g. http://www.hattons.co.uk ) might have lower prices but you pay extra for postage and don't get the personal touch.
--
Martin S.

I got mine from Woodpecker Model Railways in Sydney, Australia.
Suggest you try your local model shop first. I find they not only provide the gear at reasonable prices but can help with other suggestions as well.
Good luck
Andrew

conduct
it
I would like to make a start in railway modelling. I have a keen interest in computer control (I'm a retired technology teacher and have good knowledge of basic computer control in models/robots). I would like to go down the line of DCC in time and also Live stream. Where do I start? which manufacture should I go with Hornby/Peco/Bachmann/etc also which layouts should I consider/not consider so that I do not make an expensive mistake. Should I buy track etc from Ebay/carboot sales or New. Are there any good web sites that I should also browse? I'm sure this will be the first of main postings so I apologize if this posting has come up before. I live in Mid Wales are there any railway modellers out there from my neck of the woods.
Many thanks
Howard Morgan

You have? _Interesting_..

Where in mid-? If near the coast, reccommend talking to the Aeron Valley Railway Society - meets 2nd wednesday of the month in the Prince of Wales in Aberaeron. There's a related club in Tregaron, too.
And there's me, but it's a while since anything happened on the boards currently overhanging this machine..
--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb /
wrote:

in
knowledge
consider
neck
In my opinion, I would use Peco track and turnouts, Hornby Locos (the later ones made in China) Bachman coaches and goods wagons. Avoid Lima, old Hornby and Split Chassis Bachman Locos if you are going DCC. Many of the new Locos are being produced DCC ready(plug installed) others you will need to hardwire which can be easy in Diesels and often more of a challenge in Steam Live steam uses its own propairity controls, which means you can not mix it with a DC or DCC layout unless you have separate wiring. Also one controller will run all the Live steam locos at once unless you wire separate section insolated from each other. I guess you could have one "loop:" of track dedicated to live steam though. Hope this helps Rob

You are not alone in modelling in Mid Wales, however this is a large area. Give us a hint

in
"howard.m" wrote:

Proprietry manufacturers seem to only offer two possibilities; analogue control or DCC. It is quite practical to drive your railway from a computer using a simple home made interface and program, or with DCC through a ready made (and expensive) DCC interface and proprietry programing which I find very limiting.

Peco is excellent for trackwork. Hornby and Bachmann track could well be a mistake. As far as models go, buy one of each, or one of everything. All the British outline models now come from one or two Chinese factories and the quality is adequate.

New only. IMHO.
Regards, Greg.P. NZ.

It's just as easy to build your own DCC system and write the software to drive it. There are numerous DIY designs on the web.
Andrew
Andrew wrote:

I've found a few loco control DCC designs, but no accessory control designs. (decoders)
The possible advantage would be in the amount of wiring required under the layout, but the cost of proprietary offerings has kept me away.
Regards, Greg.P.

The MERG accessory decoder design (and a neat encoder) is freely available on the MERG DCC page http://www.merg.org.uk/resources/dcc.htm There are various flavours for driving twin-coil or tortoise style point motors and also for driving LEDs. MERG members can purchase complete kits.
Andrew
MBQ wrote:

Hi Andrew, unfortunately, MERG requires one to pay a subscription for access, which is just a bit tricky from outside the UK. Bank drafts cost more to obtain than the subscription itself and apparently incur similar costs at the other end.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:54:14 +0000, howard.m wrote:
I would like to go

If you are going into live steam seriously you need a good pension or a lathe, preferably both. A decent second hand Myford will cost 500, or a new far-eastern about the same. Before you buy anything you must visit lots of different types and scales of railway. Contact Gauge 0 Guild, Guage 1 Assoc., and the 16mm assoc. Suggest your eyesight is too old for 4mm steam :)
Ken.
Ken Parkes wrote:

From the original poster's mention of Hornby/Peco/Bachmann it appears that he is considering ready-to-run 00 gauge Live Steam from Hornby. New Mallard sets are available from 350 although list price is 499.
Dave W.