LIMA Diesel loco Models

Since taking up the hobby again I have been given to believe that the Lima brand equated with poor quality. I have bought a 25 -

30 year old (W) Cl 42 and am astonished by its' performance and appearance.Similarely the old rolling stock acquired is difficult to tell from Hornby and runs just as well. is my view supported or is it just my tired old eyes kidding me?
Reply to
peter abraham

"peter abraham" wrote

Horses for courses Peter. If you compare the Lima model with others made at the same time then they were more than acceptable, but if you compare your Class 42 with the more recent Bachmann 'Warship' or any of the other recent Bachmann diesels, or indeed with the latest Hornby offerings of classes 08,

31, 50 or 60 you will realise how dated it is both in terms of detail and performance.

John.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Many Lima diesel bodies were of a reasonably high standard for their time and stand comparison to current models in a number of cases. By the same note some were rather crude or suffered from gross errors (e.g the Deltic which was seriously underlength). Another problem was the awful wheels Lima used with their very deep flanges. These not only looked bad they also could result in poor running over more "finescale" track, such as Peco Code 75.

There were a number of problems with their mechanics, mainly due to cheapness. This did of course keep the price down. The main problems would be:

1=2E Lack of pickups. On your Class 42 you will find it picks up from 2 wheels on one bogie and 2 wheels on the other. Lack of pickups leads to erratic running due to dirt on the tracks and/or wheels, combined with dead sections on, say, Peco insulfrog points. 2=2E Cheap and nasty motor and gear chain with drive to only two axles. Smooth running might only be achieved after considerable running in, leading to the classic get-out phrase found in most magazine reviews of the period. There was a lot of variation here, with some models running smoothly out of the box. 3=2E Traction tyres on the driven wheels. These are both a blessing and a curse. They improve adhesion and thus pulling power. However, they are held by many to be a major culprit when it comes to dirty track. Also, these days, replacements are difficult to find in case of wear or damage. A better approach to adhesion is more weight and powered axles, as found in Heljan and Bachmann locos and the refurbished Hornby models (08, 31, and 50).

Try looking at a Bachmann Warship for the closest comparison. The body is not that different to the Lima - hardly surprising as it is derived from the Mainline model, contemporary with the Lima moulding - but the chassis is far, far superior. You can get these models new, discounted, at little over =A340 and second hand for =A330 odd, little more than what you would pay for a Lima one in good nick. And don't forget that the Bachmann Warship itself is getting a little old now, it is a long way behind recent models from the three manufacturers listed above.

The standard arrangement nowadays is for a heavy cast chassis with centrally mounted can motor and flywheel driving both bogies through propshafts and gears. Drive is to all/most axles, and pickup is from most of the wheels. The drive is much smoother and more reliable especially at slow speed.

With regard to rolling stock, I would agree it compares well with Hornby, both of that period and more recent production. However, Hornby do not set a particularly high benchmark with their BR coaching stock. You might get a bit of a shock if you compared your Lima coaches to Bachmann, though. You will also find they have pretty poor wheels with the large flanges.

By all means buy up and run old Lima if that's what suits you. But I think you'll find that you can get far better stuff now for prices that are not much higher, especially if you are in the second hand market and prepared to be patient. Even new, the current models are not that expensive and generally excellent value.

HTH,

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Harding

The old Limas were not very good even in their day. by current standards they fare quite poorly. Of course, this is relative to your own level of knowledge and expertise, as well as your definition of "good enough". If you have just re-entered the hobby after a very long sabbatical, you may not have been exposed to the advances that have been made in the intervening time. If you become more involved and as your knowledge expands and aesthetic awareness becomes more discerning you will see why so many are wont to pan the old Limas. In many cases they are not even an acceptable starting point to kitbash a fine, or even semi-fine scale model. In some cases they are naught but toy trains. It depends on the specific model. I have a number of Lima Alco DL-500B models that have, for all practical purposes, gone to the dustbin.

DL-500B

66class

I guess it must be my eyes then. Since I turned down the job of Electrical Engineer at Bath Road / SPM in 1976 I have not really been near a locomotive. They usually went where they wanted and not when and where I needed. I have not been able to afford the modern versions so cannot make such comparisons although the steam examples of Hornby and Bachmann certainly are a far cry from my 1947 Duchess of Atholl , much beloved at the time, rather as one does love a defective or errant child. Most of my acquired stock runs well after my intervention on code 100. I gave up rivet counting after my years in suveillance of such things in the Andrew. Fine scale has never looked "right" due to the inevitable perspective and scale distortions and I like to "operate" things and not have a semi static display originating in a hidden area. Everything I have is on display and as such needs to fit in - including the repair and junk yard. However I do feel sufficiently humbled and inadequate and will do my best to appreciate the superior present day offerings - however , I draw the line at Shakespear or the Mona Lisa!

Reply to
peter abraham

Don't go feeling too humbled by some of the postings..... From what I've seen of recent prices for second-hand Lima items, Bachmann, at least, offers far better value. The Bachmann machines also run considerably more smoothly, even using 'conventional' control systems, whilst their haulage capacities are well in excess of 1970s models. Living where you do, IIRC, a garden line would seem to be a pleasing option- a Brush Type 4 (imminent from Bachmann) with 12 on, pottering along at a scale

90, or that essential adjunct to any 'proper' main-line, a 37 with a seemingly interminable goods train. Brian
Reply to
BH Williams

The primary consideration in all this is that YOU are satisfied and happy with what you are doing. That is all that really matters, there is no "Standard of perfection" to which you must measure up. They're your trains to do with as you please and enjoy.

Reply to
66class

wrote

Tell Mr Jones that! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm sorry John, but I am somewhat of an outsider in these waters. Who is Mr. jones?

Reply to
66class

Thanks guys! I must admit that I cringe at the thought of a garden railway - we had snow for about twelve weeks this year and 30°+ for the summer season! My layout has two 1:35 grads and 5 of my locos pull the full

12 (this includes the Lima Cl42 which carries a huge piece of Llanwern steel for ballast). My twin motored Cl37 & 47 likewise but the big surprise was a Hornby 4F! It is rare that anything coming here is allowed to die or funk its proper job.
Reply to
peter abraham

wrote

Never heard of the expression 'Keeping up with the Joneses?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Salvé

"John Turner" skrev i meddelandet news:e7clrf$s71$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderm2.core.theplanet.net...

Or sinking down to Davey Jones's level in the finest Tay Bridge style...... :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Oh yes, we use that one on this side of the lake also.

Reply to
66class