Running in new locos

I've just received the NRM OO City of Truro model (excellent) which contains the instruction:

"The mechanism of this model requires running in (without a load) for approximately 1 hour in each direction at moderate speed"

How do people without a continuous layout do this? I have a very old hornby "rolling road" but a loco running on it rocks and rolls all over the place - is a 2 hour stint of running in on such a thing likely to cause undue and uneven wear on the bearings etc or is it OK to do this?

My other query is about the DCC socket which is of the 21 pin type. I have a number of 8 pin decoders and ones with just wires which I've collected over the last 13 years but none with 21 pins. Are 21 pin plugs available that I could fit to the decoder wires, if so what are the pin outs? Or should I go for a new decoder with a 21 pin plug? If so what reasonably priced decoder would you recommend for this Backman loco?

Thanks Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

"Alan Dawes" wrote

I just get on use my locos; with just an end-to-end layout continuous running is not possible.

Very few people would take a new car and run it continuously in this fashion, but would just avoid extreme acceleration, speeds and braking during the bedding-in process.

The only concession I make is to ensure any new loco runs smoothly in both directions on analogue control before fitting a DCC decoder.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Do what I do and just nail a circle of 2nd radius setrack to a board and use that.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

In order to have the loco running through not only right-hand or left-hand curves it should be turned around from time to time, or you could build a figure 8 test track like the one shown in the following page:

Erik Olsen

There are 21pin to 8pin adaptors from a few makers, possibly even including Hornby/Bachmann themselves.

Or the 21pin pin-out is on various decoder makers websites, try high-end decoders such as Zimo or ESU.

Or, how many wires does the loco have above track pickup and motor ? If none, then hard-wiring or fitting your own 8-pin socket may be simpler than getting an adaptor.

Or you could buy a 21pin decoder !

Can't recommend any decoders as OO RTR models are too far from my usual experience.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

I do series of 15 minute runs, first light engine then with a few wagons. Forward clockwise, forward anticlockwise, backward clockwise...... Perhaps overdoing it as far as running in is concerned but it also finds any other problems - incorrect B2B, mucky wheel etc. Tis also a pleasure to have running.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon