Any new RTR locos for 2009?...

With the economic situation I wonder what if anything new will be promised for next year, Bachmann (both 2 and 4mm) still have enough already promised from 2008 to take them into 2010, Hornby seem to be up to date but many are screaming out for re-releases and re-liveries - could be a lean year or two, something we've not seen since the early 1980s...

Reply to
Jerry

Or could go the other way. Manufacturers/distributers/marketeers have got to work harder to get us to spend on their products rather than less essential bits like washing up liquid ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I'm not being pedantic but I think you mean "promised next year for delivery in the following year(s)"?

Hornby's Standard 4 is already well on the way I think.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

It'll need to be *really* good to beat Bachmann's new version, which proved good enough to tempt me. I can tell from the pre-production images that Hornby's model will have better backhead detail, but to be honest I think that's totally wasted - you can barely see inside the cab with the tender attached.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

But hasnt there been lots of quibbling that Bachmanns Standard 4 is not up to top quality in reproducing the prototype ?

Interesting that they decided to stick with the 8 pin decoder connection in this one - has the 21 pin not been well received ?

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Not from my customers. I don't see anything significantly wrong with it and it fits in nicely with the Bachmann family of Standards.

I think there are a lot of 8-pin decoders in the market place and the 21-pin jobbie is (I believe) only intended for locos which will eventually be released with sound decoders. It doesn't bother me which decoder socket they have, as long as it's not that silly Hornby 4-pin effort used in their base digital locos.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

What do you suggest they connect the other 13 pins to? Unless all the wiring and infrastructure is already in place to allow a drop in sound retro-fit then 8 pins is perfectly adequate for most steam outline.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

And who would ever need more RAM than 640K? ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

My first PC was an Amstrad with only 512K memory and had an 8 megahertz 8086, which was better than the 4.77 of the IBM PCs of the day.

There was an aftermarket kit to upgrade it to 640K which included 9 x

128kbit chips and instructions to break a particular PCB link on the mother board, with the warning that this invalidated any warranty on the machine.

Those were the days.

It had two floppy disk drives until I added a 32 megabyte hard card - a disk drive on an expansion card.

Reply to
calee

And your point is?

Did I say no one needs 21 pin decoders?

Why would they fit a 21 pin socket IN THIS PARTICULAR LOCO, if there is nothing to connect the extra features to and an 8 pin is perfectly adequate?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

What do you suggest they connect the other 13 pins to? Unless all the wiring and infrastructure is already in place to allow a drop in sound retro-fit then 8 pins is perfectly adequate for most steam outline.

MBQ

You are a snappy lot, again taking the wrong emphasis - but it may not be my fault even if everyone does it. Will add a bit of background. In recent times, Bachmann have taken to fitting a 21 pin plug despite there being very few 21 pin decoders. If you want to fit an 8 pin decoder then its £3 to buy adapter. Now there was a bit of a hoo har about this when these first appeared.

So here we have a new tooling super duper (apparently) loco. Been in development for 18 months at least - no rush job this one - yet theyve gone back to the 8 pin plug.

I merely wonder why ? But if you want to quibble about any other comment have made (or might have) then dont let my question distract.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

True theres nothing 'significantly wrong' although position of buffers on buffer beam might upset a few people.

Would bother me if had to pay extra £3 cos only wanted 8 pin decoder. So how do they decide what will and what wont go for sound fitting? G2 will but standard 4 wont ?

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

My 1982 IBM PC came with 64K of ram and sockets for an additional 32K. The 5K hard drive was an expensive upgrade!

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Reply to
MartinS

Yes, several hundred Canuck dollars IIRC.

Our first office IBM PC had 256K, 2 full-height floppy drives and a 9" monochrome monitor. Cost about $3000.

Reply to
MartinS

Sorry, I meant to hit Cancel rather than Send.

Reply to
MartinS

It is probably at least in part based on how much space there is inside the model. A standard 4 has quite a narrow boiler, and most of the tender options are quite small and low, meaning it would be hard to find somewhere to fit a speaker.

Reply to
Philip

Were any of the extra pins actually connected, e.g. to lights that didn't work if you used an 8 pin decoder? If not, then it was a strange decision. Probably a new entrant to DCC thinking the 21 pin interface was the new standard and they'd better use it. I model in N, where 6 pins are the norm for steam outline, so I didn't pay too much attention at the time.

Being gracious, I would say they learned from the customer feedback.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

"Jerry" wrote

I heard a little rumour today that one of the major manufacturers has been negotiating with the NRM and NELPG for assistance in producing either a Q6

0-8-0 or a K1 2-6-0. If this is true then either or both would be an extremely welcome development.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

if your interested in a 0-8-0 or a K1 2-6-0, if not its a manufacturing slot taken up by something you dont want

Aw

Reply to
awavey