DTV Pal running slow

My DTV Pal set top box is starting its scheduled channel changes late. Currently it's running 10 minutes late.

I've disabled "inactivity standby" (which turns it off after certain time without detecting activity from the remote) because it would frequently turn off prior to scheduled recordings. (No, it doesn't wake up to execute schedules.) This also disables automatic download of stations' program information including current time (which it does during its "off time").

Forcing a Reset (holding down the Power button) results in downloading of program info as well as automatically setting the internal clock (based on stations' time data). But this gets tedious.

The problem is that if I haven't recently forced a reset, the DTV Pal will keep running later and later.

Do these things have simple crystal controlled clocks? Suggestions re. how to stabilize it? Adjust it?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

DTV Pal (also marketed under the model name TR-40) by Dish Network.

Reply to
DaveC

See this link, similar problem. Could be the station clock is off ...

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Wouldn't surprise me the least bit, considering that they often can't even keep the guide list current. Or just won't. We regularly turn on the TV because a movie was announced. Then some other movie plays while (!) the original one is still listed. Seems nobody gives a hoot there.

Reply to
Joerg

No such luck. Each station is spot on and agrees with my computer's clock (I'm using a computer as a DVR).

As further evidence that it's internal, forcing a "reset" (holding down the Power button) forces the stb to synchronize its clock with whatever source (you say CBS affiliate?) it uses as its reference. That corrects the late clock, but it continues to get slower as the days tick by.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Is there possibly a setup menu that has an entry field for "update clock every xx minutes"?

Reply to
Joerg

-snipped for brevity-

Have you tried the newest [f207] firmware?

More Q&As , with clock info, here:

Kalarama

Mine records while "off".

I don't know when or how it gets the time on yours, but mine has to get it from PSIP since the local TVGOS doesn't work. I asked the station engineer about it, and he said they would get it going, but that was months ago -- I doubt they are able to make it work.

I have noticed errors all over the place with the PSIP time, one station was about 13 years slow (time from 1996 or so).

So, let it shut down. It will still record.

Of course, there is no reason it needs to be "off" to download the time, and no reason it needs to reboot to load the TVGOS guide, but it continues to try that too. At least it gathers PSIP while on and active, but it stupidly forgets the PSIP information very rapidly while looking at it.

Probably cheap offshore programmers doing a bad job of programming.

Other obvious programming problems are that it cannot realize when it can use 1 tuner for two overlapping recordings from the same channel.

Well, if it wants to be "off", let it turn "off".

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Where are you? How do you read the station time information? Do you have a program that compares PSIP time with NTP time?

In the San Francisco Bay area, the stations PSIP times are all over the place, a few off by over a minute, and one off by about 13 years. The majority have the UTC offset wrong, as well.

Let it sync when it needs to.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Upgradeable firmware for the STB? I think we're confusing two different product here; the STB and the DVR.

Reply to
Mike S.

A reply from the manufacturer's support department confirms that no f/w upgrades are available for the STB. Only the DVR model is supported for f/w upgrades.

Reply to
DaveC