HELP ! 'James' R852 How do you get into tender ?

Once I have test run my son's new James loco I intend to fit a decoder but I do not know how to get into the tender ... any ideas ?

The Hornby service sheet is not any help in this matter apart from showing me it has three pick up points / wires each side.

Chris B

Reply to
Dragon Heart

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Yes it's just a (very tight) clip fit. Ease the tender sides (not easy) away from the footplate and it should just lift off.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Do you want DCC to make its eyes move? ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

Once I have test run my son's new James loco I intend to fit a decoder but I do not know how to get into the tender ... any ideas ?

The Hornby service sheet is not any help in this matter apart from showing me it has three pick up points / wires each side.

" Do you want DCC to make its eyes move? ;-) "

NO ! ..... just play the Thomas theme tune & make his nose glow red :-)

Chris B

Reply to
Dragon Heart

A very tight fit !!!

More like super-glued !

Why don't they make it 'squeeze to open' ie the holding clips facing inward not outward ?

Are all Hornby tender drive loco's like this ?

Chris B

Reply to
Dragon Heart

If they were "squeeze to open" then as the clips got slacker the model would fall apart every time you picked it up!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Finally got it open ....... using a craft knife ! Still got all my fingers !

On inspection, why does the tender have pick ups of the rubber tyred traction wheels ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

"Dragon Heart" wrote

I asked Hornby that when they first adopted this practice and was told it assists with electrical pick-up!?!?!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

The flanges binding against the inside of the rails are a useful additional pickup point, especially on tighter bends.

Surely we shouldn't be criticising Hornby for a "belt and braces approach" on this occasion!

Dave W

Reply to
David Westerman

Don't South West Digital do a decoder for that?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

" The flanges binding against the inside of the rails are a useful additional pickup point, especially on tighter bends.

Surely we shouldn't be criticising Hornby for a "belt and braces approach" on this occasion! "

It was not my intention to criticise Hornby, I am a big fan of the 'belt & braces' approach myself, I was simply asking the question !

Chris B

Reply to
Dragon Heart

" Do you want DCC to make its eyes move? ;-) "

NO ! ..... just play the Thomas theme tune & make his nose glow red :-)

Don't South West Digital do a decoder for that?

I don't know MBQ ! Their decoder chips make model loco's do about everything else ! The new Bachmann range with their 21 pin sockets could open up a floodgate of new options ?

Chris B

Reply to
Dragon Heart