Tire Chains

I've tried everybody within reach, but nobody carries tire chains any more!

The roads are 4" deep in glare ice, and snow is forecast for the next couple of days.

Plus another couple of weeks of Ice Age (global warming)

Any advice on making a set of tire chains?

Reply to
CaveLamb

What are the wheels like? are they steel or ali? do they have slots or holes? between the rim and the center section?

1/4in steel cable wound around the tyre through the slots or holes will work for a while, tho you will need some cable clamps to secure the ends. always risky at the best of times. If it breaks or wears through it might just foul on the brake pipes and rip them out. Do you have to travel?

We had ice and heavy snow back in Dec ,here in the UK, and I had a set of snow chains put by just in case. My better half has to go to houses as part of her care in the community service so im the chauffer if the roads are impassable with her car. then I get pleasure getting about when everyone else is stuck. Ted In Dorset UK.

Reply to
Ted Frater

Chains won't fit on most newer cars due to suspension and fender clearance issues. No market for them anymore. Besides, when a chain fails, it beats the crap out of your car. I've got studded snows for the Rabbit diesel-goes anywhere as long as is doesn't high-center. You can always throw cables on the snows too. JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

Sorry Ted in Dorset, they are mags. (Came with the truck)

Me? I can stay home all winter, but SIL has to get into the office.

The highways are (WERE!) fairly clear, but we have a 60 foot hill to climb on the way home.

I didn't make it up this evening (I hate when that happens).

I did ok the last few days, but there were other idiots on the home hill this evening and I had to try from a dead stop. We found an alternate route home. I can't take that one out because it has an even higher hill on the southbound side of the interstate.

Wallyworld had one set (count it - 1) set of chains in the store (for 20,000 customers!). But they were for large truck tires and had fancy auto-tensioners.

Reply to
CaveLamb

I checked with a couple of tire stores today for studded tires. Nada...

Reply to
CaveLamb

They are in PA and ship all over the US. Shipping is VERY reasonable for most sets and they have a variety in stock. Prices are good as well.

I've bought 5 sets for various items and they have always come through.

Reply to
Steve W.

OK, If it were me I wouldnt give up yet. How about another set of wheels ,say steels from a breakers yard? You could then do something with those, and keep them for future winters, Or get for the other half say a small 4wd Suzuki vitara, tho this time of the year everyone wants them for the same reason as you do!!. As a last resort, leave the truck on the clearway, and walk back and forth, if its not too far. Just a few random thoughts. Probably useless!! Ted..

Reply to
Ted Frater

Nobody in Texas carries them in house, but they are readily available online.

It will start melting Saturday when it finally gets above freezing.

It's supposed to be above freezing during the day Saturday through Tuesday.

The ice on the roads will be gone before you can buy or build tire chains.

Reply to
Pete C.

Do what the ice racers do, get a set of crummy tires and put sheet metal screws in them. About the only thing you'll be able to do before the ice is gone in a few days.

Reply to
Pete C.

Our mail truck sports chains when the road is icy. So you might see if you can make contact with whoever does the mail truck maintenance.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I got the chains for my snowblower from Vulcan Tire.

Tire chains on a car are a bitch though... I had one break at about 25 mph and literally destroyed the wheelwell/fender on my car. Studded tires have been illegal here for about 40 years.

Reply to
David Courtney

Taxi?

Newb

Reply to
newb

If the chains are breaking, they're probably loose. Like this:

I've driven literaly hundreds of miles on chains and NEVER had one break from running. Had some worn 3/4 of the way through the link when replaced.

These things have to be >TIGHT<

As in, if you can force a pry bar between chain and tire, its too loose.

Potholes and cattleguards, are 'nother story, they will break a link just looking at the chains:(

gary

Reply to
vrgolf

Long ago I worked in a garage and in the winter I was the one that installed tire chains. The first thing you do is inspect the chains and replace any worn or broken links. Lay them on the ground behind the car and then back the car over them so that the link ends of the chain are just sticking out from under the front of the tire. Pull the chains over the tire and lock the link.. Let some air out of the tire, move the vehicle a little and re-tighten the links. Fill the tire back up with air and put the spreaders on. Check the tightness after a mile of driving.

or

get a spare set of tires and mount the chains on them, preferably snow tires.

Also, make sure you have extra weight over the driving axle... a couple of sand bags and shovel in the trunk, Another trick is to carry a couple of containers of salt from the food store in the trunk to apply to the wheels when getting slightly stuck.

John

Reply to
John

John on Fri, 04 Feb 2011 18:46:04 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Kitty litter. If you have cats, you can use it in the summer, if not, give it to your friends (or the local shelter.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

All good advice, of course.

Last night, about half way up the hill, we came to a slippery stop. I put the transmission in park, set the parking brake and stepped out to see what I could see. When I closed the door, the car started sliding backwards down the hill! All four wheels locked!!!

!

I rescued us by backing down the hill - slightly in control and skating off for a different route.

It was a bit slick.

Today we have about 5" of new snow on top of that.

And a big fire in the fireplace. Damn the CO2!

Reply to
CaveLamb

I blame Al Gore.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You probably don't have any mountains handy. In CA, chains were mandatory for anyone going through the Sierra passes during snows, chains readily available in surrounding towns. I can still remember a Porsche zipping by at 75 with the chains going whappety-whap at Donner Pass. Installing chains didn't also install brains in that case. Speed limit was supposed to be 25 when chained up.

They're still available and there's some cable types that work on alloy wheels. You just have to be in the right area to be able to get them off the shelf.

My take is that if it's that miserable out, I'll hole up until it gets better out there. Longest it's been has been 4 days here and no one else was moving, either. Chains wouldn't have helped with 4' of snow.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Yes, don't. It's a waste of time and money. IIRC, don't you live in a place where you need snow chains once every twenty years? Just wait for the global warming, and if you get tired of waiting, call AlGore to come down and breathe some hot air to melt the ice.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book.

Steve B

Exactly my experience buying a set of large chains in an obsolete tire size for a '53 Farmall.

Reply to
Ned Simmons