OT-'Puter prob-long

So, I decided to build a new puter for the shop, cuz some new programs I need won't run on ME, of which I have many loaded HDs. They need XP,
so I got an XP-pro disc and COA on Ebay. The MB is an Asrock K8NF4G with 1 GB DDR2 333 in 2 512 mb sticks and a Semperon 3 gig processor. The MB has onboard video. The HD is Seagate 40mb IDE. Bios can only run the CPU at 1.8 Gig... When loading XP setup files (second stage, after the initialization files are loaded into ram), the installation stalls about 10% thru with a file copy failure screen. Sometimes it runs to 40-60% before it happens. I thought the CD was funky, so the seller sent me a replacement free (nice guy). The second disc does the same thing. If I do the NTFS drive format thru Windows Installation , it says it can't be done because the HD has faults. If I format it with my ME boot disc, it formats OK and tests good. I load a primary DOS partiton and have WI do a quick NTFS format-it goes ok. Bios does not see a problem with the memory or HD Scandisk heavy scan shows no bad clusters on the HD. I thought maybe the puter was running out of ram, so I reduced the shared Video memory to 32mb from 128 MB. Swapped CDRW drive and ide cable, reseated CPU and memory, CPU runs cool. Still does the same thing-stalling with file copy failure. If WI does not format, but leaves the primary ME dos partition intact, it makes no difference. The stall seems to happen often on the same files on installation, but not always. Sometimes it runs to 60% or so, loading the previous failed files ok, then stalls on a new one. Ejectng/loading the CD on the file copy failure screen has helped with one or two files, but not all failures. Several fruitless hours invested here,,,,, Help? JR Dweller in the cellar
Stewing about this even as I type. The MB is ata133-the HD is ata100. The MB has sata ports, and the PSU has sata connectors also. I have a sata HD, mebbe I'll try that........... JR Dweller in the cellar
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 20:17:04 -0800, JR North

I installed an ata133 drive-same problem..... JR Dweller in the cellar
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 20:17:04 -0800, JR North

What does the install log file say? Should have some indication of what file it's choking on and why. You can get to it by using the maintenance console feature.
If you haven't run it yet, get Memtest 86+ and burn the CD, it's freeware. I always run this on new hardware, sometimes memory isn't all that reliable or there's a BIOS setting off. Let it run through all the tests several times. Odd things happen with intermittent memory faults. I've had new sticks not pass, the MB chipset didn't support that brand.
If you've got another machine, you could mount your install hard drive as a second drive, format it NTFS and copy the CD to it. That would pretty much remove either the CD or the hard drive as the problem. Use xcopy from a command window with verify.
Another alternative is to create a FAT32 partition, copy the CD to a folder on it, then kick off the XP install from the command line in 98/ ME/whatever from that folder. If that works,you can run the FAT32-

is 100% beforehand.
Just occurred to me, that you might be using a 40-pin IDE cable when the board is looking for an 80-pin. Funny things happen when that's the case, too. Nephew just had that problem.
Stan
The ports and cables are both 40p. BTDT JR Dweller in the cellar
On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 22:25:49 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

JR North wrote:

Both ends will be 40 pin but the newer cables are finer and have 80 conducters in the same width, every other one being a ground to prevent crosstalk, the difference should be obvious.

The connectors for 80-wire (ultraATA) cable ARE 40 pin connectors; you use the same 40 pins, whether the cables are 80 or 40 wire. The way to tell what your logic board wants, is to look at the plastic shroud around that connector; for ultraATA, it's always blue.
JR North wrote:

Minimum XP hard drive is ~4.3 GB. Oopsy. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP
--Winston
40GB......... JR Dweller in the cellar

Winston wrote:

Dunno about that.
All three of our XP machines have 100+ gig drives.
--

Richard Lamb
email me: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net
CaveLamb wrote:

Sorry Winston, misread minimum for maximum...
--

Richard Lamb
email me: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net
CaveLamb wrote:

Sorry Richard, I responded before reading your correction.
:)
--Winston
CaveLamb wrote:

Yup. JR's original '40mb' description *seemed* a little low.
--Winston

You can do a "minimal" install on a 40Gb drive and still run a few programs..
On Feb 4, 8:06pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

This PC uses <8 GB for XP Pro, OpenOffice3 and Foxit.
Try installing the CD on another PC, after backing up or swapping its C: drive.
Used office PCs are pretty cheap if you don't need gamer-quality video.
jsw
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's 1000 x larger than 40 MB though.
--Winston

Yes and I actually meant to type 4GB, not 40 (so only 100 times bigger) XP Lite needs 850MB to install and run. Regular XP can install on 1.8GB.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yeah, I figured it was a typo. I catch myself doing the same thing. This progress curve sure is nonlinear. :)
--Winston
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:55:30 -0800, JR North

Get rid of the crappy AMD processor system and use an Intel based system. The ASRock Intel boards are pretty decent for a low end board. Also check your RAM.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

and don't use a 10 year old 40GB hard drive.