Pro E Wildfire 2.0 Student Version Crashes

Very simple assy. 3 parts. Pro e just ends abruptly. Tried recreating the parts. I thought maybe parts could be corrupt since I created them on the academic version at school. It still crashes consistantly on the third asm part, pin connection. I have tried adding the text file, whatever it was, and it stilled crashed. Hardware: brand new HP pentium D 820 dual core 2.8 mhz, 1.0 gig ram. tel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Report

Report Date: 11/22/2005 Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 00:45:57 Driver Version: 6.14.10.4299 Operating System: Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600) Default Language: English DirectX* Version: 9.0 Physical Memory: 1014 MB Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB Maximum Graphics Memory: 224 MB Graphics Memory in Use: 7 MB Processor: x86 Processor Speed: 2800 MHZ Vendor ID: 8086 Device ID: 2772 Device Revision: 02

OP system shows XP pro, but when system boots up, it read windows xp media version. when i pull up help, and "about", the banner reads xp pro, and when I open up the info on the graphis (see above) it shows XP pro, so..?? I don't know.

but anyway..

When I do a contol alt delete, no other applications are running. When I click the processes tab, there are lots of applications, but I assume these are not running. I have also tried reducing my graphics acceleration from full to none to halfway.

This is extremly disappointing. Adding the text file should have been a test as to whether or not it was my graphics card or not. I really thought I had a screamer system and was hoping I did not have to buy a graphics card. I appreciate any help with this issue.

Reply to
e.investor

The problem is the graphics 'card'. The Intel chip set is not a CAD level graphics running OpenGL, it is a gaming card running DirectX. There is a config.pro setting that may help, GRAPHICS STD_GDI, not sure if that is the correct syntax.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

There are lots of approved graphics cards. Any suggestions for "the best card for the money". At school, they are using a integrated 128 meg ATX something, I think its a Radion (I know I said intergrated, it is). It works kinda OK for the most part. Thanks.

Reply to
e.investor

Radeon cards are not certified, either. With that being said, I have a Radeon 9800Pro card and it works fine with Wildfire and UG.

The key is to find a card that supports OpenGL.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

wrote

I've tried running Pro/e on home computers that did, virtually, the same thing--blinked off when I tried to access a certain menu. Every time I tried to do a Gaussian curvature analysis, the program crashed. I think it was the integrated video adapter which grabbed a section of system memory for video. What a dumb idea. It was so easily corrupted, given its variable size. The really disappointing thing was that it didn't do this on the school computer, so I was pretty sure it was hardware related.

Don't know what you're talking about; "adding the text file"? What text file? What are you "adding" it to and why? Is this something in a course book? What's it supposed to accomplish? I've worked a bit with mechanisms which is what you're making and I never ran into anything about "adding the text file".

This is not only a mystery but quite disturbing: this "Graphics Media Accelerator Driver", is it an HP component? Is it what passes for a video driver? Is it DirectX derived/directed? The problem with all this stuff is that it's not what Pro/e needs. Pro/e needs strong OpenGL support, hardware and driver-wise. That's what powers Pro/e. It was invented by SGI to power Maya/Studio Tools. This is graphics hardware and drivers that are made for 3-D CAD and NURBS surfacing and simulation. It's specialized, highly specialized. Your hardware/software setup is plagued by being ultimate generic and anti-specialization. To see what you might have gotten from HP that was automatically guaranteed to work with Pro/e, check this out:

While the price is low as a basic starter setup that'll give you trouble-free performance, you can customize them for lots more money and get lots more performance.

What do the OEM disks say?

The best card for the money comes in a qualified, approved, supported and/or certified hardware configuration. PTC doesn't certify or approve cards alone but only in certain setups. You can buy a card that costs 5x more than the computer and just have bought yourself a pile of trouble. That's why PTC puts out a list of certified/supported configurations for each release of Pro/e. Get the righrt computer and it'll have the right card. Trade in the "screamer" for one of these from HP:

David Janes