Pro E Wildfire 2.0 Student Version Crashes

Very simple assy. 3 parts. Pro e just ends abruptly. Tried recreating the parts. I thought maybe parts could be corrupt since I created them
on the academic version at school. It still crashes consistantly on the third asm part, pin connection. I have tried adding the text file, whatever it was, and it stilled crashed. Hardware: brand new HP pentium D 820 dual core 2.8 mhz, 1.0 gig ram. tel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Report
Report Date:        11/22/2005 Report Time[hr:mm:ss]:    00:45:57 Driver Version:        6.14.10.4299 Operating System:        Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600) Default Language:        English DirectX* Version:        9.0 Physical Memory:        1014 MB Minimum Graphics Memory:    8 MB Maximum Graphics Memory:    224 MB Graphics Memory in Use:    7 MB Processor:        x86 Processor Speed:        2800 MHZ Vendor ID:        8086 Device ID:        2772 Device Revision:        02
OP system shows XP pro, but when system boots up, it read windows xp media version. when i pull up help, and "about", the banner reads xp pro, and when I open up the info on the graphis (see above) it shows XP pro, so..?? I don't know.
but anyway..
When I do a contol alt delete, no other applications are running. When I click the processes tab, there are lots of applications, but I assume these are not running. I have also tried reducing my graphics acceleration from full to none to halfway.
This is extremly disappointing. Adding the text file should have been a test as to whether or not it was my graphics card or not. I really thought I had a screamer system and was hoping I did not have to buy a graphics card. I appreciate any help with this issue.
The problem is the graphics 'card'. The Intel chip set is not a CAD level graphics running OpenGL, it is a gaming card running DirectX. There is a config.pro setting that may help, GRAPHICS STD_GDI, not sure if that is the correct syntax.
--
Ben Loosli
< snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
There are lots of approved graphics cards. Any suggestions for "the best card for the money". At school, they are using a integrated 128 meg ATX something, I think its a Radion (I know I said intergrated, it is). It works kinda OK for the most part. Thanks.
Radeon cards are not certified, either. With that being said, I have a Radeon 9800Pro card and it works fine with Wildfire and UG.
The key is to find a card that supports OpenGL.
--
Ben Loosli
< snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

I've tried running Pro/e on home computers that did, virtually, the same thing--blinked off when I tried to access a certain menu. Every time I tried to do a Gaussian curvature analysis, the program crashed. I think it was the integrated video adapter which grabbed a section of system memory for video. What a dumb idea. It was so easily corrupted, given its variable size. The really disappointing thing was that it didn't do this on the school computer, so I was pretty sure it was hardware related.

Don't know what you're talking about; "adding the text file"? What text file? What are you "adding" it to and why? Is this something in a course book? What's it supposed to accomplish? I've worked a bit with mechanisms which is what you're making and I never ran into anything about "adding the text file".

This is not only a mystery but quite disturbing: this "Graphics Media Accelerator Driver", is it an HP component? Is it what passes for a video driver? Is it DirectX derived/directed? The problem with all this stuff is that it's not what Pro/e needs. Pro/e needs strong OpenGL support, hardware and driver-wise. That's what powers Pro/e. It was invented by SGI to power Maya/Studio Tools. This is graphics hardware and drivers that are made for 3-D CAD and NURBS surfacing and simulation. It's specialized, highly specialized. Your hardware/software setup is plagued by being ultimate generic and anti-specialization. To see what you might have gotten from HP that was automatically guaranteed to work with Pro/e, check this out: http://www.hp.com/workstations/segments/mcad/ While the price is low as a basic starter setup that'll give you trouble-free performance, you can customize them for lots more money and get lots more performance.

What do the OEM disks say?

The best card for the money comes in a qualified, approved, supported and/or certified hardware configuration. PTC doesn't certify or approve cards alone but only in certain setups. You can buy a card that costs 5x more than the computer and just have bought yourself a pile of trouble. That's why PTC puts out a list of certified/supported configurations for each release of Pro/e. Get the righrt computer and it'll have the right card. Trade in the "screamer" for one of these from HP: http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/30892en_file1.pdf
--
David Janes