Wildfire 2.0 Stability

I have been using Pro since version 19 and Solidworks since 1997 and Solidworks has been my tool of choice, but now I think that it's time to
make the switch. I saw a demo of Wildfire 2.0 and I was very impressed. The interface appears to be better than Solidworks, but still has the power of Pro. The detailing part in Pro is still lacking the speed that Solidworks has, but to me it is more important to create a design using 3D models with the ability to perform the required analysis. The drawing is a by product of the design and can be handled by a junior engineer or drafter.
My question is about stability. When Wildfire 1.0 was released I briefly looked at it then forgot about is as I didn't want to be a guinea pig on a new product. Does anyone have experience creating large assemblies in Wildfire 2.0? What is the limit of the number of components? Are there any crashes, and if so which modules (part, assembly, detailing, analysis, etc.). Are there any improvements or enhancements in the detailing from Pro 2001 to Wildfire 2.0?
I am a little concerned about the transition from Pro 2001 to Wildfire as there is such a drastic change in the interface, but since I have used Solidworks for 7+ years that I can handle it. Other than that I want to make the switch to Wildfire 2.0 ASAP and I am very excited about it.
Thanks

Hello Brooke,
On the stability side of Wildfire 2.0 I can only help you with what I heard and read from other sights is everyone seems to be very impressed with the latest version. At my company I hope to make the switch across the board by November.
We have been on Wildfire for almost a year and have to say the stabillty issue of Wildfire has been fantastic. The time to get up to speed from 2001 was a couple of weeks, the biggest problem being being going from object --> action to action --> object, i.e picking the geometry then doing the command. The other item was how to pick certain geometry like tangent chains and surface boundaries ... that was probably the worst thing.
Drawing has changed alittle bit in Wildfire for the better, you can go onto PTC's website to look for an free update class going on in your area.
Since you used Solidworks for so long you probably won't have to much trouble.
Wildfire really seemed to close the gap on the interface to Solidworks, you might want to go to www.ProeCentral.com or see if a gentleman by the name of David Janes will reply to this message ... he seems quite versed in Wildfire 2.0 and has posted a topic on Wildfire 2.0 about a month ago.
HTH
Brian
Solids wrote:

Yes, Pro/E was way ahead; now they're neck-and-neck or maybe Pro/E is a tad behind ... :-)
I've found WF2 to be fairly stable except when running with Intralink we are experiencing a problem if WF is left idle (generally with memory cleared) while you are working with the Intralink browsers. Otherwise, no real problems.
Detailing is much different in Wildfire 2 than 1 or 2001. The entire view creation/placement/state thing has left the Menu Manager and moved to a dialog box. Also, moving dims and creating them follow a different (more streamlined) paradigm.
All in all, we're happy with 2.

A floating license thing, maybe?

No, what is occurring is that while you are working with Intralink - checking in, setting folders, updating, etc - Pro will just quietly exit. No warning or system hang or anything, just *POOF*. If you're not watching for it you don't even notice it, and many times you'll ask yourself 'Did I quit it?' as you gaze at the taskbar wondering where it went. It seems to happen after memory is cleared, so I can't say that I've ever lost any work as a result. Of course, most users tend to save everything before they check-in anyway, so perhaps it is just coincidence. It also only happens after you've done a lot of work in Pro - a couple of hours or so. Just opening a file and saving it and checking it in won't trigger the exit. Some arcane memory issue, I'm sure.
I asked on the ptcuser Exploder and got 18 replies from users experiencing the same problem. Since it is hard to reproduce, no one had an SPR on it. PTC had me enable an environmental variable that prompts for the creation of a traceback log file before it quits (it no longer exits 'quietly' but still exits), so I've sent maybe 5 of those in attached to my call and it's been transferred to the Intralink group.
The cute thing is the variable they had my add in Control Panel: ALLOW_CRASH TRUE......I thought that was enabled on most software by default!
Regards

That is good. 8~)

By the way, it appears to be an Intralink issue, not a ProE issue. Users have reported it in 2001/WF/WF2 and Intralink versions 3.2 and above. We ran 2001/3.0 Intralink for years without ever seeing this, so it must be something related to 3.2 and up of Intralink.
Regards