SW 2007 and Windows 2000

Hi,
ok, it's not supported, but have anyone figured out is there a way to
install anyway?
regards
Markku
Reply to
Markku Lehtola
YEP. UPGRADE TO WINDOWS XP
I know this is probably a dumb question (or two)... Have you tried to install anyway? I am just curious. If you have, what does it say? What error messages does it give you? What exactly is not supported?
Reply to
Arlan.Murphy
Outs, my ears are bleeding :-( Not going to upgrade anything, not a good idea with Windows or SW, doing clean install in the future when it's time to clean my home pc anyway. Just would like to run/test it until that...
Reply to
Markku Lehtola
Tried, it just says that current os is not supported and I should upgrade, then it finished with the installation.
Reply to
Markku Lehtola
You will not be able to install on a Window 2000 machine. You will get a meesage that Windows 2000 is not supported and then the install will end. Going to have to upgrade operating systems to Windows XP to be able to use SolidWorks 2007.
Regards,
Anna Wood
Markku Lehtola wrote:
Reply to
Anna Wood
My suggestion if you really want to leave what you have the same...
Hard drives are really cheap nowadays. I'd buy a new hard drive and install Xp Pro on the new drive and just dual boot as necessary to play with 2007 or even beta version of Vista for that matter. That way, you can come up to speed on your own time and not change any of your current settings. And... you'll have more storage for all the SolidWorks work you do! ; )
Don
Reply to
dvanzile3
My suggestion if you really want to leave what you have the same...
Hard drives are really cheap nowadays. I'd buy a new hard drive and install Xp Pro on the new drive and just dual boot as necessary to play with 2007 or even beta version of Vista for that matter. That way, you can come up to speed on your own time and not change any of your current settings. And... you'll have more storage for all the SolidWorks work you do! ; )
Don
Reply to
dvanzile3
Good idea, but there's no place for another hdd on my laptop :-( I think I just wait for the next "total clean install".
Reply to
Markku Lehtola
Boot to an external drive? An external 7200 rpm 3.5" drive in an enclosure would be faster anyway...
Reply to
Dale Dunn
For the last several years I also used Windows 2000. It was extremely stable for me, (SW 2004-2006, IV7-10, and others) so I didn't change. However, my HD was starting to get full and I have had a copy of XP Pro sitting around here for a while so I decided to upgrade to XP.
The upgrade was painful because all of the software had to be re-registered, (now where did that CD go?)
However, now that I am using XP, I can't belive that I didn't upgrade 2 years ago. It runs so much faster, boots up, loads, unloads, just runs more like what one would expect. I even had a disaster with a printer installation and the recovery/rollback feature already saved me! I definately recommend that you "dump" Win2000, it will be worth your time.
Ed
Reply to
Ed
I run XP at work and I don't see any major difference, both are stable enough etc. Every Windows runs faster (for a while) after clean install...did you upgrade your Windows or was it a clean install? XP surely boots up little faster, but are we really in the situation that 30 seconds per day counts? If you feel so, you should read this stuff :-) "Faster" is not always same as "better".
regards Markku
Reply to
Markku Lehtola
No space on my desk :-(