Making tire chains for tractor

Has anyone here made there own tire chains for a tractor. I was about to buy some but at $1100.00 a pair (studded type for ice) they seem very expensive. I can get 3/8" for $1.69 per foot. 200+ feet of chain, a big set of bolt cutters, my Mig welder and some time should make a decent set. Anyone have an opinion on this idea? Above prices are Canadian.

Reply to
habbi

Where are you located? Must be Canada!

I have two pairs of ice bar chains that fit the old International Scout

15 inch wheels/tires. Haven't used since about 1990. Would give to someone, but won't ship. Too heavy.

Paul in Redmond, Oregon

Reply to
pdrahn

My size is 16.9-14-34 and I almost couldn't get farther from you. I am on the east coast of Canada.

Reply to
habbi

If you make your own you may want to look at the design used for most skidder chains, these have a ring centered on the tread and are connected to the side chains by four cross chains, I have not driven any thing using these (no opportunity) but the design looks like a good idea.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Hayes

PEI, right? I bought chains for my tractor from these folks last year. Made in China, of course, but I'm very happy with them.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I looked at doing so. Haven't gone one way or the other, but note that a _good_ set of tractor chains will be made with boron steel, and may have studding or wear bars - all of which is not likely to be on your homemade set. You save money, but they wear out faster, and don't work as well as a good set. Cheap-ass commercial cains may be no better, or worse, than your homemade ones.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Reply to
habbi

Hi, My Dad made a set of tractor tire chains of the style suggested by Jack in the attached response. The rings were about 3/4 inch diameter rod if I remember correctly. Weld some small posts on the rings and surface with hard facing rod. The set Dad made will pull like crazy and seem to last forever.

Mill

Reply to
MP Toolman

I have never made a set from scratch but I have extended them . Forget reg chain . Go to an Industrial supplier and buy the right side links and connectors . They are less money anyway . You will need ring chains or D chains so it sits up on top of the tread bars . Reg single cross links are useless on Ag tires . Nothing to making them other then be sure to take out any twist in the chain as you go so . As to special steels , well for seasonal use you will never wear them out anyway . Have you tried asking around for old logging skidder chains ? Even if half worn out they will out live you . Luck . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt