Car Models

Hi guys, its been a long time, but I'm trying to build an old 58 chevy out of the stash. I've tried googling "car model craftsman" and the like, but no joy on finding the long lost techniques for painting transparent colors and doing chrome trim on 1/25 scale car models. Any thoughts?

T2

Reply to
Tom

floss and foil.

Reply to
someone

Floss?

How is foil trimmed and applied? Never used it.

T2

Reply to
Tom

Look for this stuff:

hobby shop should have transparent paints. You may want to put down a metallic or silver undercoat first.

Reply to
<Jessie_C>

Thanks, Jessie. Looks like just what I need.

T2

Reply to
Tom

Yeah, Tom, Bare Metal is great. Make sure you get a fresh sheet. The stuff does not age well. It looks OK but you'll find an elderly sheet will wrinkle for you whilst you attempt application. Also, avoid Detail Master sheets. That brand seems extra thin and very hard to apply.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Thanks Bill. I've ordered a sheet of their chrome and their "super" chrome along with a little bottle of their PSA and their scriber, so we'll see how it works out...

T2

Reply to
Tom

Tom, compared to the original BMF, Super Chrome is crap. It is very stiff and wrinkles very easy. It also doesn't stretch well. I guess that since you have both, you'll be able to see the difference first hand.

Looking at both, the Super Chrome is thin aluminum foil while the original chrome foil is some sort of metal alloy which is quite pliable (and it has a warmer color).

Actually when BMF came out with the Super Chrome foil (around the time that Detail Master came out with their "chrome" foil which is just as crappy as the BMF "super" version). I wrote to BMF pleading with them to still continue to produce the original chrome foil. I also included some photos of my models. They reassured me that they had no plans of discontinuing the original chrome foil and a photo of one of my models ended up on the BMF foil envelopes and website (with my blessing of course)! :-)

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Thanks Peter. Will let ya'll know how it works out. After working on 1/700 ships for quite a while, the 1/25 Chevy parts are HUGE. Trying to make it better than the last one...

T2

Reply to
Tom