Question : AMT '71 and '73 Mustang kits

They looked like the old crappy MPC kits I remember. Are these them or did AMT shoot there own way back when?
WmB
To reply, get the HECK out of there
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

IIRC both companies did their versions of those years. You'd have to buy one and do a comparison. I've got the SAE which reviews all the stang kits if you'd like me to dig it out. What didn't you like about the MPC kits? Most modelers I talk to said they thought the MPC kits were superior to the AMT offerings. Both companies molds are now owned by ERTL/racing chumpions.
fwiw the Blue Max is probably an MPC issue as they were doing a lot of drag cars at that point. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
The "'71" is the original MPC kit. The '73 is the old AMT "Warren Tope" car which is set up for racing. Most details (marker lights, nameplates, etc.) that make for a Stock car are gone. The interior is set-up for racing also. I won't say it's impossible to make a factory car out of it but it'll be 'challenging'!
Bill Banaszak, MFE
WmB wrote:

Well, it wasn't that long ago I read it over on the HH board plus I was at a car club meeting today and saw both kits for sale. That must have helped freshen the memory. :)
Today was the auction meeting. In the bargain of the year I came home with a functional CD player for $2. I also picked up a started Duesenberg roadster kit. I'll have to use my touring car kit's instructions as the roadster's are AWOL.
Bill Banaszak, MFE

Wow, never saw that one! What year was this released? It wasn't the race option on the original annual was it? Drag racing right? tia,
The Keeper (of too much crap!)

No problem. Most reference material here at the Crapatorium is logically organized. It's just that sometimes there's a lotta crap to be moved before I can get to it! 8^) I know that never happens to most of you! 8^)
IIRC Ford kept the general body for two years and changed the front/rear end every year. Except they kept the 73 an extra year before the total body change in 74. Or was the general body of the 73 noticably different?
Both AMT and MPC did annual kits for 71 through 73 -all fastbacks. Here's what SAE has to say:
AMT #T114 1971 Sharing some parts with the '70 edition, this is otherwise an entirely new kit. New body and interior, 428 and Boss 429 engines included.
MPC #7113 1971 Still sharing the same basic chassis and powertrain options with the earlier '69-70 kits, an entirely new body and interior are featured in this kit. Almost spoiled by the inclusion of goofy Zinger-like parts.
MPC/ERTL #6429 1971 Boss 351 A minor but very inaccurate rework of the MPC '73 tool. Kit has a '73 body, bumpers, wheels and interior. The stock '73 front grille is the "custom" option for the dummied -up psuedo '71 grille. Engines are the same old 289 and 428 Cobra Jet with the exception of inaccurate "351 Cleveland" valve covers for the 428 CJ to make it look like the 351C. A really nice set of stock Boss 351 striping and markings (in silver) are included, as well as some engine and underhood markings. Only criticism of the decals is that the "Boss 351" lettering is not in the actual shadow style (then again, neither are Fred Cady's Boss 351 decals.) Major work would have to be done to this kit to turn it into an accurate '71 Boss 351.
AMT #T425 1973 Similar to previous year's annual kit with some optional parts differences and annual revisions. Featured full sets of stock Mach I graphics in both black and white.
MPC #7313 1973 Similar to previous year's kit but with body and interior revisions.
End quote. As I remember, ERTL screwed up the MPC '73 mold in the eighties. I think I've got one. And now they've re-released it. Seems a shame they can't find the right parts but now that it's racing chumpions' ball game they're happy to chuck out toys not models. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
Keeper wrote:

The big problem that RC/Ertl has it that they let everybody go who knew squat. The Chinese know nothing about American cars except what they may have seen in the past several years. They may have the tooling and not know it or they may not or it could even be in a job shop somewhere in Detroit like the '34 Ford truck. As much as that tooling has been on trucks moving around the country and now overseas it doesn't surprise me that they can't find stuff. Heck, I'm still looking for stuff I put 'somewhere so it'll be safe' the last time I moved. ;]
Bill Banaszak, MFE

I've got an 'under construction' report of the 1988 issue of the MPC 1971 Boss on my website:
http://www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/models/mustang.htm
Perhaps it is of some use to you guys. I've learned many more details of the kit in the various Mustang threads that you started, and I will try to update the page accordingly. If there are mistakes on the current version of the page, please let me know!
Rob de Bie My models: www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/models.htm Me 163B site: www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/me163.htm
It's a short list, but they were all fun:
'73 Mach I w/302-2V. Fun car and fun time to be a 16 year old. '69 Mach I w/351-4V. Holman_moody massaged - smokin! '69 Boss 302 w/351 CJ brought up to Boss 351 standards. Teeth rattling. '70 Boss 302 w/ Boss 302. Mechanical cam symphony.

I had a '70 Grand, VIN OTO4M111453, with that engine. Sucker went like a scalded rabbit, especially after I added a Torquer intake manifold, Holley 650, and Hooker headers. The car was a real 'sleeper' since I left it bone stock on the outside, including the vinyl roof.
I bought it new through the AAFES vendor in Mannheim, Germany and kept it till '78 when I got transferred from Hawaii to Japan. People told me it was too big for the roads there so I got rid of it. Big mistake - when I got there I found out some guys were driving big full-sized station wagons around with no problem at all. :(
The worst thing about it was that the car was built in Antwerp and was actually a (now rare) T5, not a Mustang. I wonder what it would be worth if I still had it today..... <sigh>

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

Probably a zillion dollars! If only we could have kept all the cars of our youth.
What did they charge servicemen for shipping their vehicles to new assignments? tia,
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
On 11 Nov 2004 12:25:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy (Keeper) wrote:

E-4s with over four years service and all E-5s and above were entitled to ship one POV at government expense to/from overseas locations where POVs were authorized. I'm pretty sure that it's the same now.

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

My Grande had those suspension and steering upgrades since it was built to European specs. <more sighs>

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

Well I better quit before I cheer you up any more. ;-)
WmB

Not to worry - I'll always have the memories. ;)

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.