Monogram TBD Question

Is the wing fold on this kit a working feature like on the old Mon. Navy planes or is it an option like on the Tamiya Corsair? TIA John

Reply to
Bossarnold

It's just an option; no working features. Wish they worked and the gear retracted so I could make a torpedo run on the neighbor's dog. 8^) cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

brake fluid on a doggy bisquit if you're desperate and cruel.

Reply to
someone

Ah, no, just always enjoyed playing with animals when I was a kid. Ya know, do a bombing run on the pets with the Monogram Helldiver while I was making engine and machine gun noises. The cat just looked at me funny till the bomb came flying out of the bomb bay and bounced off its midsection. A perfect hit! Jumped about three feet and tore ass out of the room. Yeah, I shoulda been a pilot/bombadier. Am I the only one who got the working features to operate correctly? Cheers

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I'm a confirmed "pet ace" with the first run Monogram Battlestar Galactica Viper w/ working missile launcher.

What'd I win? ;-)

WmB

WmB

A visit from the SPCA?

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Hmmmmm... I better wipe the blood off the claw hammer.

WmB

WmB

They worked for me. Weren't the Avenger and Helldiver the greatest thing since sliced bread back then?

Reply to
Bossarnold

I really am not out to offend anyone, but does anyone else think that they were the ugliest planes in the pacific theater?

Reply to
dereman

Don't know bout that, I was sitting in the hangar bout 2 hrs ago looking at the TBM and I thought it was a good looking plane. Now I am sitting here at home going over the logbooks getting ready to give it a going over. Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the 2003 world champion drill team Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

Handsme is as handsome does, in the case of the prototypes. I admit the Helldiver looked pretty homely when I looped it and the wings folded!

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Which?

TBD?

SB2C?

TBF/TBM?

Of those three, I'd say the Helldiver looks worst, but it's by no means the worst-looking thing that flew in the theatre. My vote would be for the Buffalo, or if you insist on something in continuous service, the B-24.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I'd have to agree on the B-24 (But I kinda like the Buffalo) and add a vote for the Hellcat...not outright ugly,but it's looks just never did anything for me.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

The B-24 ugly... wow, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll grant you the Privateer wasn't my favorite Consolidated bomber, but the vanilla B-24 struck me as having brutish good looks.

I was out at the speedway in Charlotte NC anywhere from 5-10 years ago. I'm thinking it was at the 30th Mustang event back in '94, but it might have been later at one of the annual Auto Fair meets. Anyway, my brother talked me into walking up to the top of the stands so he could look over the wall and watch some Legends cars that were practicing or racing on a small track outside the speedway. We weren't there for long when I was ready to climb back down. Lucky for me I didn't.

I thought I was hearing things cause what I thought I was hearing were radial engines. My brother is an old model head to, so we both saw them about the same time and had just about the same jaw dropping reaction. A B-17 and a B-24 bore in on the track at low level, low throttle, just outside the perimeter of the track. They made a fly-by in formation abreast capped off with a slow banking turn around a part of the track before peeling off. Unbelievable!

We were as front row as you could get to them on that day, at that altitude. It felt like you could reach out and touch them. That was a helluva treat. Years of modelling little plastic ones and finally not only getting to see the real deal, but like that. We found out later they had a show out at the local NG base that same weekend. I wasn't able to make it out for it but I got my money's worth just the same.

Granted I'm a little partial to the B-24 for my dad's time wrenching them in in WWII, but I gotta tell you in flight the B-24 is an absolute beauty. Not that the 17 was any slouch.

If we're casting votes strictly for US Navy Fuglies, I nominate the Curtiss Seamew.

WmB

WmB

about the same year they flew over my neighborhood with and invasion striped c-47 on the way to an air show. about 500'. soem 30 somethings on the street were, wht the hell are those so i said a b24, b17 and c57 and they asked how the hell i could know that. i just walked...

Reply to
someone

Absolutely! My Helldiver lasted the longest; still have most of it. My neighbor and I had the whole set; we used a picnic table for a carrier.

I'm building them all again just as soon as I find some time! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I've got to agree that the SO3C was far worse than anything else listed here, but I wasn't sure if the damn things really qualified, since they were into service and back out again in record time--a classic example of 'looks wrong, is wrong.'

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert