Really obscure Bell X-1 question

Gang,

I'm currently working on a 1/72 Bell X-1, and I'd like to put it in a vignette showing Yeager standing next to the plane just after landing on the day of his first supersonic flight.

In one (maybe both) of his biographies, Yeager says he was met by the Muroc fire chief, just like on prior flights. My really obscure question: what was the fire chief driving, and what color was the vehicle?

I *think* I've seen a film clip of the X-1 being towed across the lakebed by a vehicle bigger than a jeep but smaller than a typical Army or Air Force truck. Maybe that's the one?

Mucho thanx for any help!

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)

Reply to
UmTutSut

I don't recall the clip, possibly a Dodge WC54/56 tow truck variant? The Dodge WC is usually the culprit when people describe a WWII-era vehicle sort of like a Jeep only bigger.

WmB

WmB