George Sellios' layout

Bought Allen Keller's video of Part 2 of George Sellios' Franklin & Manchester - frankly, I was disappointed, after all of the praise he's been getting. Sure, the urban scenery looks great, but his locomotives run like... crap! Herky-jerky, especially at low speeds, stops that are way too abrupt, and starts that go from zero to full power in just seconds. If this is the best he can get his steam locomotives to run, it's no wonder he's considering the early diesel era!

The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Digital Railroader

As I understand it, George isn't particularly interested in the operational aspects. At least, that's what I gather from other posts on the subject.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Judging from what I have seen of various tapes & TV programs few model railroads, regardless of scale, seem at all realistic in operation. All seem to start with a jerk and sort of lurch along as seemingly affected by electrical pick-up problems. Besides, none show signs of having weight. They look like track bound baloons.

I suspect most of these models seem much more realistic "in person". Movies & video don't seem to efectivly capture operation of model trains.

Reply to
Charles Seyferlich

I think that was particularly the case when George first started building the F&SM, but I think he's become more interested over the years. We visited the layout in February and everything sure seemed to run smoothly while we were there.

Jim

Reply to
Ctyclsscs

Is there REALLY any need for this post? What is the point? Show us the pictures of YOUR layout...............

Reply to
MrRathburne

The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC wrote ".............Sure, the urban scenery looks great, but his locomotives run

I've been to exhibitions where the arm chair experts pontificate on what someone else should do with their layout. On one occassion the operator listened intently then leaned over the layout and just said; "OK where's your f*****g layout then!".

As another contributor stated, get a camera or visitor near a model railroad and things just go wrong. Remember it's a hobby, fun, a break fron the stress of real life.

Ernie Currently modelling NS in N

Reply to
ernie puddick

If my post was so useless, why do you compound the problem by posting another useless reply? BTW, show me your layout!

Reply to
Digital Railroader

Perhaps I should have started with #3, since #2 was taped some seven years ago. George admitted in his interview that there were some problems with track and operation. For one thing, his yard had lots of #4 turnouts, which he referred to as a definite "no-no" for steam locomotives. His goal was to finish the layout in 5 years and then spend his time fine tuning and maintaining it.

The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Digital Railroader

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours"...never mind, just trying to inject a little humor. :-)

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Woodward

You tell him, Howard. Geez, what is the point to that! The FSM is a fantastic layout. I could spend weeks admiring the modeling, the details, and the awesome weathering and scenery. The fact that a few old brass steamers are not smooth is not something to slam anyone for.

Marc Sierra Valley Railroad

Reply to
Marc

Dennis, I agree that it depicts the depression era but comparing the layout with photos taken at the time, it does seem to be over done. It looks far too run down. I tell yeah, I wouldn't want to live in any of his modelled cities. :-)

BTW, I know it's "John Allen" and not "Allan".

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

What a troll. YOU are the one slamming some other layout. Tell you what, next time you witness shoplifting, yell out 'stop theif'. You will then be arrested for shoplifting since you're guilty of the crime too. Makes sense? As much as your BS below.

And this is how you hope to boost users of your digital newsletter or whatever it is?

Reply to
MrRathburne

Me too. The F&SM is a great layout. Model railroading, especially on George's scale, becomes an art form. It can be appreciated even if it's not YOUR 'thing'. The same was true of John Allen, and many others.

ALL these great layouts are 'charaicatures' in some form, as are almost all complete layouts in any form. Each reflects the personality and interests of it's builder. Most everyone also HAS to apply selective compressions and other tricks to build a working model railroad layout. You might make a small diorama to exact scale (sort of), but a whole railroad would be near impossible.

Dan Mitchell ==========

"Dennis E. Golden" wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

That's funny - I thought I had :-). It may be a little overdone, but I've seen places in Louisville and Chicago back then (and LA today) that weren't much better.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I agree - it's just way over the top for me. I love to look at them, but can't even begin to want to emulate them. George admits that he's received criticism for having too much detail, and he has scaled back, with what he says have been good results. I wish they would have pointed out these less detailed scenes, because everything looks the same as to level of detail, especially when the camera is trying to keep up with a locomotive that apparently only runs well at full speed.

All of the folks you mention have been great at modeling. However, I've heard that Furlow never actually completed any of his magazine layouts to the point of operation. They were essentially dioramas!

I think that holding Allen, Furlow and Sellios up as a watermark could actually discourage potential modelers, especially those who have meager budgets for their hobby. Many inner city kids probably never give model railroading a second thought when they see the "empires" touted in the magazines. And having the "poster child" of the "World's Greatest Hobbby" be an older gent holding an engine that's bigger than he is (grin) only reinforces the notion that this is a hobby for the rich with time to burn.

The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Digital Railroader

Are you implying that I slammed George? Did you actually read how I praised his scenery? Are you one of those participants here who loves to take opinions out of context?

BTW, how much of a celebrity would George have become if his scenery was sub-par, but his locos ran as smooth as silk? I'm guessing that he would not be one today, because you can't translate smooth running equipment into printed form. That's why I like layout videos - they give you a chance to see the flaws in a layout that has every reader's jaw on the floor. They help me appreciate that if you can't possibly match the level of detail of a George Sellios layout, but you've done pretty good laying track and your steam engines run smoothly, you deserve some praise too, even if you never will be on the cover of MR! ;-)

The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Digital Railroader

Undeniable!

-- The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Digital Railroader

Has there been praise of his locomotive operations?

All the (well-deserved) praise I've seen has been for his scenery.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

That's an interesting proposition... has anyone *actually* seen any of Malcom Furlow's layouts that he built for MR magazine on display and in operation?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

No, but all of his track plans showed a remarkable absence of any operating potential.