Steel trestle bridges?

Are most steel-type trestle bridges scratchbuilt by model railroaders?

Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer of these types of bridges? I did a search at Walthers and came up with zilch. Would seem to me to be possible to develop a "modular" kit that would build up into just about any type of steel trestle you could want!?

The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Digital Railroader

yankedc

Stainless unlimited will build anything you want. They priced one for me (42" double track) at about $300 or so plus painting and shipping. See them at

I have no financial or other interest in these folks and have not ordered a bridge from them yet.

Ed in article uymQa.103872$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com, Digital Railroader at snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote on 7/13/03 5:11 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Also check with Steeltoys.com. I think you will find Pat's prices very competitive. You can also contact him at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
TRAINMAN9

Hey, nice work! But span bridges are available in kit form. I have a double-track through truss from Walthers, and Plastruct makes a nice one as well. I'm really looking for a kit that would make it easy to build a combination steel trestle/deck bridge, like the one on the cover of Model Railroader's Bridges & Trestles book. I can't imagine why there isn't something out there. For example, an all-in-one kit that would allow modelers to build any sort of steel trestle he prefers, with additional pre-built trestles and decks to expand the kit to make a longer bridge.

The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Digital Railroader

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I would at least like to see someone offer jigs for rapid assembly of steel trestles. There are such things for wood trestles, but not steel.

The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Digital Railroader

I think Bridgemaster is the brand you are looking for. They did a SP prototype steel trestle bridge which could be made as long as you wished.

Reply to
+GF+

Not sure why Micro-Engineering (which yankc suggested in the second post) wouldn't solve your problems, at least for the trestle part:

Catalog listing from Internet trains

Looks like the 150' steel trestle (or several viaduct towers) would be a good starting point, add in some 30' open deck girder bridges (not pictured, but they look suitable in the Walthers Catalog), and a open deck truss bridge (Atlas offers one, but it doesn't look that hot - maybe use the 50' open deck girder instead, or one of many regular truss bridges (Faller, Kirbi, Walthers, etc.), and it looks like you'd have your steel trestle at a reasonable price.

Reply to
Sir Ray

Ooops. Shot my mouth off without checking Google. Bridgemaster is a brand that makes a kit for mainline bridge(s) but not a steel trestle.

+GF+
Reply to
+GF+

You know, I honestly can't remember that. But I took a look at your suggested page, and have to say that you're right - this should do the trick! Thanks for the tip!

-- The Conductor Digital Railroader LLC snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com

Reply to
Digital Railroader

What scale?

Have you tried Micro-Engineering? Or Master Rail Models? Or Bridgemaster?

Ptooey

Digital Railroader wrote:

Reply to
Achmed Ptooey