When will this model kit hoarding end?

Come over to the Dark Side, Tom!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Well, sure. I used to go out and buy anything that fit in a category. If I picked WWII USN, I'd look for anything reasonably priced in that category. At one point I had two Heller Bloch 210s because I was going to build and paint one for France and one for Romania. This was back when they were going for around $9. A while back I was scarfing up Heller Dewoitine 520s in order to do one for every country that used them. I think I had about an 80% completion of that project.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I collected for 40+ years. Had the stash at 750+ until I started selling some at the local model club. Down to 400+. I'm trying to get myself to build some. I am hoping to finish a Special Hobby 1/72 Sea Hawk by October. Hopefully, more by then. I don't mind the building but I screw up on the painting stage. Heck, it's been decades since I reached the decal stage!

A good way to keep from buying kits (for me) is to view the hobby store as an extension of your collection. for a fee, you can retrieve it from storage when you are ready to build it. Of course, with the recent release of Tamiya Char B, Academy M3 Lee, and AFV Club Centurion, I've found my finger hovering over the BUY button several times.

Reply to
GaryKato

Any time You want!!!?

RJN

Reply to
RJ Nijssen

Will try again when i get the chance.

Got a pile of US cop car books, loads of decals too. I know a lot of ones i wanted to do meant removing the front door strips on the Vic, i have some Revell IMpalas too so little bit of cutting and filling there but has the round wheel arch. not bad kit.

Reply to
Jules

My late grandad (a wartime RAF pilot) collected models of elephants. He had over 6,000 of them by the time of his death. My mother couldn't get rid of them fast enough. He also had a collection of medals from all over the world. Despite being a Dutch national, his RAF medals occupied pride of place in his display case.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Compulsive Hoarding Syndrome" aka "Squirrelitis"

I *think* every member of my family suffers from it to some degree or other.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

EVERYBODY collected Matchbox cars, just as EVERYBODY collects die-cast buses.

Unless they're peculiar :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I dont buy that high oilprices w/models,a lot were made way before oil was uo to todays prices.I seem to have trouble finding what I want mostlyI have a few catagories of interest,still havent touch that Enterprise I bought In january,not sad,just summer time.

Reply to
teem

I am a registered E-bay seller so far I haven't sold one item ,done some buying though.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

It's worth registering as a seller long before you actually need to. It avoids hitches later.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

150 models chicken feed. I have over 3000 models. Talk about collecting

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Hi:

I certainly have a sizable stash of plastic models, collected over 40 years, some from the 1960s in high school. And decals (remember His-Air-Dec?). Got them. Jars of paint? Tons of the stuff.

I have no intention of selling them or even care what happens to them eventually. To save space, I will snip sprues and cram three kits into one box. This ruins the resale value, but I don't care. When I do this, I try to combine kits with different sprue color, so that the pieces can be easily separated at some future time.

But, now I have burned out on getting new plastic kits. The choice in the hobby shop is overwhelming, so if I ever need to build a particular subject, I am sure it can be found.

But ....... you knew this was coming ..... I have switched to collecting paper/cardstock models from Poland. Much less expensive .. extensive choice .... colorful printing since the models need no painting (so they are more fun to paw through to see how the designer has done the weathering) ... a large supply of new stuff on e-bay .... vast improvements in quality from hi-tech ... and the big plus, in magazine format, they all slip nicely under the bed.

With cardstock models, they always look better in the magazine then when built (unless you are one of these genius "master" builders). I know folks who will blow up the pages, frame them and place them on the wall as true works of art.

My fav? GPM 1/200th USS Lexington of Coral Sea fame (model is as was in

1937). If you are ship modeler, just buy it for around $30. Trust me. Amazing ..... thousands of parts. You got to see the maroon/brown flight deck with yellow stripes and a complete air group of yellow wing biplanes. Each plane is 20 parts. Can't get enuf of that? They have a 1944 USS Saratoga in splinter camo.

Guitars ..... got 5 Piano sheet music ..... all the classics in a full bookcase. Guitar sheet music .... ditto

But the most obsessive of all ..... free downloads of add-on aircraft for Microsoft Flight Simulator FS2004. This is really nuts. Gigabytes on the disk drive. Thank goodness DVD burners are invented.

.../Vess

Reply to
Vess Irvine