When will this model kit hoarding end?

Singlehandedly causing the price of penny production to escalate...;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

...who isn't ready to admit to collecting them in a mayonnaise jar until they get wrapped and taken to the bank...

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

My Dad has a rather extensive stamp collection. I know that the collection is willed to me, because he reckons that I'm the one who will look after it and carry it on.

I really don't want my Dad to pop his clogs - mostly because he's my Dad, but also because I just *know* that when I get my hands on that stamp collection, I'll become obsessed by it....!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I guess I shouldn't mention the ones I have on E-bay right now. They aren't Hasegawas anyway. :)

Got your own Jagdgruppe?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I try not to think about it as I'm listing stuff on E-bay. If I did it would be so much harder to do it.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Was that you on my answering machine, Jules? I only got half the message.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I think some people are just natural collectors , I know I am ,I started collecting stamps as a kid , then matchbox cars , then as I got older more adult collections became apparent like ,knives, swords and firearms,and ammunition and other WWII paraphanalia(sp?) and of course being a Fitter and Machinist the envitable tools. I collect cactus plants too. I also have collections of military badges and patches,cigarette cards from WWII that has taken me a life time to accumulate. So collecting model kits of WWII subjects is just a natural extension. I do build five or six models a year, but I probably buy twice that amount. Most of the previous collections have been sold or passed on to nephews and friends ,some stuff still remains in my possesion ,the military stuff will be donated to the Darwin East point War Museum when I pass on from this life.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Yes that was me, thought i would give you a call.

Are the Lindberg Crown Vics and Revell Caprices still available? i took a quick look at US ebay but didnt see any, i have about 40 in total. Cant remember the brand of decals, cant get to them as i speak.....

Reply to
Jules

Tom, nooo . . . .

All that effort in clearing away could go into a house extension :^]

Ciao

Reply to
Bob

You are suffering from a severe mental illness! To cure it you must give all your kits away. To me. WRF

"Nooooooo! Stop me before I build again."

Reply to
rfranklin

i hope you are sperating the pre 1982 and the 82's that weigh 3.11 grams. you want to hoard copper. i predict 5cents per penny by the end of the decade. the mint has made over a TRILLION cents. if i make a dent.....i'll need an empty mall or six. coin collecting is amazing, there is no limit ti what and how you can collect. i love 2 cent, 3 cent silver, 20 cent and half dimes. anf halves.

my coins are going to anyone but my family. those idiots will give it away in ignorance. i hoped for one interested enough to learn values.....nope. so i will leave it to a friend's child who loves sitting with me determining overton varietys of draped bust halves. she doesn't know what she will inherit. but she will love and care for them. that's all i ask, not for some pinhead to sell my life's work for pin money.

were there still that many in one at war's end? or did they get diluted like the panzer gruppen? i have bashed both 4 engines v's, a twin, a trainer and nightfighter plus a tank killer. the 4 engines have the wrong motors, but they were built in the 70's.....the next 5 v's will be right, including both trolleys and rauchgerats. but i can quit any time!

yes! my dad's interwar marine uniform's and his ww2 medals and patches will go to the d-day museum. they are interested.

Not to worry. You are more normal than you think.

Reply to
Felix D.

I try to r educe the purchases, I really do!!

But when Lynne's mother gives me $50 for my birthday (a month late, but what the hey) and we are in Foster City to visit her, well, Talbotts is just a couple of miles away.

$50 goes a long way for even the larger Corgi 1/72 diecast airplanes, so I went, just to see what they had in stock. Walked into a minefield! Big sidewalk sale minefield. Picked up the Corgi Meteor Mk.8 and five Ace 1/72 armor kits at half price or better. Managed to avoid the 20% off entire stock inside, though, so I was kind of good.

Tom

Kev> > asdf wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Wait a minute!

You can SELL things on e-bay?!

I thought that it was only for buying. :-)

Tom

Mad-Modeller wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Already dooing that. Big, unused attic getting floors, insulation, electricity, vent fans, walls for the really low areas and one of those drop down staircases. It'll be a few years before it's done, but all of the unbuilt kits go up there. Now they are sorted in boxes in the garage. Even though the boxes are pretty well marked as to contents it can be hard to find things.

Tom

Bob wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Heres another ''angle'' on this collecting stuff:maybe in the back of peoples minds,they want to ''set up'' kits,meaning start a small collection so in the immediate future you'll have a chioce to build.Depending what you come across,it is hit or miss.1 time I came across the 3 versions of the Delorean from BTTF,these were $37.00 each,i'm thinking to myself''i can spend that kind of money!'',you have to train yourself toknow what to do,my friend was there & he said,''you'll never see all 3 of these again!''.so,I slid the plastic for them.Only thing is now:2 of them are still in their boxes,but,i have them.

Reply to
teem

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Due to a combination of higher plastic prices,higher gas prices keeping me from the hobby shops,and several bad experiences with mail order,I've cut far down on purchasing. My unbuilt stash was 300+ kits a few years ago.It's less then half that now. I've actually been building them!

Reply to
eyeball

Is this anything like Groucho's 7 cent nickel?

RLM

Reply to
Rob

Sorry I missed you. Sometimes it's hard to hear the phone here in this room when I'm out in the rest of the house. I may even have been out at that time.

I'm not sure. I haven't seen any in the stores nearby. I own two Crown Vics and thought doing up a Pa. State Trooper car would be easy. It didn't look like the moulding along the lower body interfered with the insignia. Here I am with a painted body and decalling and I discover that the prototype does have a gap allowing the insignia to pass between. Aarrgh!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller