OK...Nomenclature Needed!

Please give me a list of all the popular abbrevriations...Mr. Pratt was so cool to take his time to answer my questions as well as Mr. Irvine and others but it was peppered with a veritable alphabet soup of mysterious abbrevriations...

Just being annoying, I know but i hope to learn sumthin!

PS...Mr. Corwith...I took 2 Tylenol ;-)

Reply to
TheOutcast

but you ignored the real remedy! :}

Translation of Doug's acronyms: RC - Radio Controlled GOX - Gaseous oxygen (as opposed to LOX - Liquid oxygen, not the fish) GSE - Ground Support Equipment NOX - Nitrous Oxide RTLS - Pratt Hobbies Remote Tanking and Launching System RATT - RATT Works (a name AFAIK.. as far as I know) WCH - West Coast Hybrids LEUP - Low Explosives Users Permit (or Let's Expend Useless Paperwork) NASA - Good time to practice google searching at

Joel Corwith

Some more acronyms/abbreviations:

ATF BATF BATFE = All three refer to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Fireams and Explosives.

LUP = Limited Use Permit (A new ATF permit that they claim is the solution to our problems, but actually is not. It only allows you to buy "explosives" 6 times a year; can't be used out of state or for buying motors from an out of state dealer; and has the same impossible storage requirements of a LEUP.)

Reply to
RayDunakin

Sounds like a typical Buerocratic solution...make more incomprehensible laws!

Reply to
TheOutcast

Thank you, Mr. Corwith!

(Hey, I like this "Mr." business. Imagine that, people on r.m.r treating each other with respect! Thank you, Mr. Outcast, I hope you've started a trend!)

This gives some credibility to my rant about inadequate instructions...even my own attempts at explaining things need more explaining.

You can tell I used to work for NOAA, the National Organization for the Advancement of Acronyms. We had a two-volume listing of the agency's acronyms. Now, my day job involves documentation for some Navy projects, and the Navy acronyms can get really obscure...things like NAVFAC and CINCLANT.

When I released the Remote Tanking and Launching System (RTLS) I was hoping that someone would notice the joke in the name. Only fellow Shuttleholic George Gassaway caught it. RTLS is one of the abort modes for the Shuttle; it stands for Return To Launch Site. There are three abort modes available to a Shuttle during the climb to orbit: TAL, or Trans Atlantic Landing, where they make it to Morocco or Spain; RTLS, where they have to do a turnaround and head back to the Cape, and ATO, or Abort to Orbit, where they just go into a lower orbit. The only one that has even been used was ATO, by Challenger, when a faulty sensor shut down a main engine early. The mission continued unimpaired. RTLS is flown a lot in the Shuttle simulator, and even though all the numbers and simulations show that it should work, everyone I know wants it to stay right in the simulator where it belongs.

Oh, by the way, Dave Griffith told me "RATT" stands for Rockets All The Time.

Best regards, Mr. Douglas R. Pratt, M.B.E., D.D.S., S.O.B.

Reply to
Doug Pratt

Hrummf. Mr Corwith is my DAD! Mak'n me feel old here. ;)

Unfortunately, until someone says 'I don't quite understand that bit right there', you don't know you haven't conveyed your intended message.

Missed that one!

I did go to their website to see if I could be more specific, and did notice it was R.A.T.T which would lead one to the conclusion that is should be an acronym, but didn't find it spelled out anywhere.

More Beer Ernie Drunk Dastardly Smelling Super Ornery Bas...

The telephony acronym book where I used to work was over an inch thick. It was nice to see an acronym, look it up, and find 5 or 6 definitions (several company uses, industry usage,..). On top of that, having just come from avionics, my mind would read something like Aircraft System Control when I saw ASC in a telephony routing document.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I once attended a boat launch of a multi million dollar boat that the owner insisted on prepping hisself...it floated majestically out into the bay then slowly started to sink...it seems that he had not secured all the bilge drains which are left OPEN from the builders.

one grizzled old fart (with many Mariune tatoos about his person) standing around snorted and said "Ah 'spected sumthin' lahk this...tried to help but he'd have none o' it" so I said maybe he was embarrased by his lack of knowledge and he said two things I have never forgotten to this day.

1) There are no stoopid questions just stoopid answers

2) How much is your pride worth to yah boy?

(luckily the Coast Gaurd was on hand to sort things out to...)

Reply to
TheOutcast

Here ya go, outcast, A lengthy glossary of rocketry terms.

steve

Reply to
default

Get a load of this!

Seems to work pretty well, too. Amazing.

Reply to
Doug Pratt

My teenage son has been overheard saying proudly to his friends, "My dad is a Geek Geezer!"

Reply to
Doug Pratt