Signed up for Welding class

Signed up for the fall for a welding class, 6-10pm one day per week. Should cover all welding processes such as stick, mig, tig, and
O/A. I am sure that I will learn quite a bit of stuff and maybe will get "re-educated" on things that I already learned to do incorrectly. Would be nice to be introduced to MIG and O/A, also.
Where? All the evening classes in my area seem to be three to 4 times a week... thanks

Our local community college, west of Chicago. It is actually rather good based on my past experience.

You're going to love it if you get a good teacher. I was fortunate and got some good ones. Believe me, they can make you remarkably better in just a few hours a week. And most will skip the stuff you already know and let you advance to something you're having problems with or need to learn, and you don't have to spend a lot of time going over stuff you already know how to do.
It's nice, too, from the standpoint that usually you get to weld on steel that has proper root and bevel configuration. Sometimes this translates to the real world, but a lot of times, it just gives you an idea of how it would be done in ideal circumstances, and then you will adapt from that to the real situation in your shop.
Let us know how you do, and share those AHA! moments.
Steve
Thanks Steve. I wil let you know how it goes.

I'm envious! The great stateof Wyoming has consolidated all of its CC (and university) welding classes to the Casper CC. At 175 one way miles at todays or even last years fuel prices not an option. There is no other.
--
J Miller
"Ignoramus32025" <ignoramus32025@NOSPAM.32025.invalid> wrote in message

About 4 miles for me. This is a great CC also. I studied some things there a few years ago.
COD Iggy?
Rob

On 2008-07-09, Rob Fraser <FraserRacing> wrote:

Yep.

So... the definition of "Community College" there calls for only one community to have the college?

It's a cost-effective way of maximizing the use of the existing equipment without spending anything upon either maintenance or consumables.
The CCC may also get a subsidy from the Feds as part of a job-training program.

From my perspective (I'm a computer science professor at NMSU), it just seems totally contrary to the whole community college concept. Having local access to vocational training like that is exactly what CCs are supposed to be good at. Let's see... three of NMSU's four community college campuses offer welding (I wonder why the fourth doesn't... hmmmm...)

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Having spent several years working for a community college system, I can tell you that the sad truth is that colleges exist to serve their bureaucracies and the egos of their faculty, not the needs of the real world and certainly not the needs of their students.
Welding and other "dirty" classes aren't trendy, so they get shoved to the side in favor of trendy classes and of course the handful of classes that serve no purpose other than to employ otherwise unemployable faculty.
Even calling those classes "vocational" is a sign of the discrimination, since virtually all classes beyond art appreciation are "vocational".

Here in my small Texas town, we have a Junior College which offers HVAC classes and Auto Mechanics classes.
The local high school offers a Tractor Mechanics class as a part of the Agriculture program.
The nearest Welding course, though, is an another town 25 miles away.
30 years ago, the Conroe, TX, Vocational High School offered adult night classes in welding, machine shop, and general metalworking.
Each was a 40-hour class taught by the same teacher at the same time.
The best description of the welding class was "40 bucks for 40 hours and all the rods that you can burn." <grin>
At the time, they only had O/A and stick.
They also had a pair of engine lathes and a mill that was in need of repair.
Still, it was enough to learn some of the basic basics. <grin>

I'd just like to add that CCs are also feeder schools for further education at a four-year university. Around here, in southern California, the majority of students are going to CCs to either get an AA, or to go on to a university. There are a lot of people who don't get the chance to go to a university right after high school and community colleges give them another chance.
But, with that said, I agree that CCs should have a strong job- training component. Maybe, with the decline in mining, in Wyoming they had to consolidate the welding classes because there just wasn't enough demand to support them.
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:59:33 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

John means that only the Casper school has welding classes -- there are 9 more CC's in 7 other Wyoming towns. Wyoming is #50 in population among US states, has about 5 people per square mile and 10% as many people as Cook County, Illinois.
-jiw

Yabut the people who ARE there are very friendly. <grin>

And the sheep are cute, too..............................

On my last trip to NW Wyoming, I found that the favorite obsession of the local young women was to find men who they hadn't "known." Visitors were considered Gods. It was a lot of fun until I met all of them. That took about two weeks. Still, a fun vacation. Even caught some fish and found some arrowheads in-between all the horizontal air hockey.
Steve

Site Timeline